[Solution] VMF Exporter Sometimes places everything at the wrong place

Started by wallworm, July 02, 2014, 01:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

Every now and then, a scene will suddenly start exporting all the world geometry and props at incorrect locations. Often, you'll notice that a bunch of world geometry overlaps at the world origin when this happens.

The fix for this is to simply restart Max. I'm not 100% sure about the cause, but occasionally Max will get stuck in a situation where the coordinate system is locked at #local and WW cannot set the correct context.

I have noticed this on a couple occasions and seems to result when the user sets arbitrary reference systems and/or there is some error. Restarting Max is always the fix.

Joris Ceoen

I've sometimes seen that a change or revert all of a sudden offsets every single vertex in the level and zooming in and out causes everything to change position. It happens veeeery rarely. I never saved such a scene but I don't recommend saving if it gets itself in such a state. Restarting MAX helps indeed.

I am profoundly sure that 3DS Max is the most memory straining program I have ever had to deal with, as well as being probably the most complicated to keep running, so I guess it's one of the things to simply deal with. However I can recall Hammer crashing instantly, without warning, and closing you to desktop in less than a second when doing CTRL+T on a brush randomly.

wallworm

Are you saying that you see this offset in Max itself? I've never experienced this in the Max viewport... only in the VMF that is exported. In the case described here, restarting Max corrects the VMF exporting results. I've seen this a couple times... and I'm not sure what the common thread is. But I've never seen vertices getting offset or zooming changing object positions! That sounds like something you may want to submit to Autodesk along with your system specs!

In terms of memory, Max does utilize more than any other program I use regularly. But I personally don't have issues keeping it running, especially Max 2014. At this point, it generally only crashes on me if I am testing some new code. Perhaps there are also things to avoid that years of habit have instilled in me that also helps... but what that might be is not something I can say.

I've found Max to be very stable for a few years now--far more stable than Hammer :)

Joris Ceoen

Yea it is definitly more stable. I just realised that your thread was about the exporting results, while I thought it was about the results appearing in 3DS Max ^^

My issue is indeed that visibly the viewports show that all vertices are starting to get off-grid, and if I recall correctly, doing any futher edits (in any sub-element mode) would drive all geometry completely crazy, wacky, as if I selected a random portion of all of the models' vertices and moved them anywhere randomly xD you can imagine I think. Anyways, just restarting fixed that. I only faced this issue 2 times during my whole 3DS Max possession. And those were errors in 2012, I haven't faced this in 2014, which is a very stable version. Most likely 2015 will be even more stable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk