VMF Exporter isn't working [3DSMax 2010/2014]

Started by danielkeuhl, June 02, 2015, 03:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danielkeuhl

Hello, like the Title says, i cannot export a VMF file out of 3DSMax 2010/2014.
I apply every geometry as a brush, or as a func_detail.. all what i have to do to export a VMF.
When i export it, the VMF's File size is a bunch of bytes, like 569 or 825 byte.
I don't know how to fix it, i have reinstalled both version of 3DSMax inclusive of Wallworm, but nothing helped..
I've noted the Map-Size-Limit too.
I'm pretty desperated.

Here is a Screenshot of my Geometry

Please, i need some Help

wallworm

What is the source of the file? It looks to me like an arbitrary set of meshes. Those cannot normally export as brushes. I cannot give more input without more information on the file. If need be, email the file to me (my email is in the readme file of the WW zip) and I'll give more information.

danielkeuhl

Okay, i will send it To you today.
Thank you for The fast support^^

EDIT: Okay, i've sent it now to you

wallworm

OK, I've opened the file and the problem is as I suspected. This scene is composed of non-brush objects.

You can think of it like this: When you select your object and go to the Element sub-object mode,  each element must be a sealed, CONVEX piece of geometry where each polygon is planar with planar mapping. If that is not the case, then the object cannot export as world geometry. There is just no way around it.

For those objects that are valid: If the object is composed of one convex element, tag it as a brush; if composed of multiple convex elements, tag as a concave brush.

This scene, however, is composed of non-convex elements (most elements are planar in it). In fact, there are many floating triangles hovering about.

There is only one way to use this scene: export it as a model. But even with that route I suggest a lot of cleaning up. And I also suggest first learning how to make a simple Max scene with world geometry and a simple model first before tackling this project. Understanding the work flow is really important.

danielkeuhl

Okay thank you.
Is there any solution to make it exportable except of exporting it as a model? Do i have to seal every Trinangle?
If yes.. could you tell me please? This map is urgent for one of my projects, i need it

wallworm

I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner to the last question.

No, from my memory of opening the file, it will not export as a level. It would take so much cleanup that it would be best to start from scratch.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk