Why does mesh have bone names, and no bones are imported?

Started by Anonyma, January 17, 2017, 04:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonyma

So I'm using Wall Worm free on v2.964 on 3ds Max 2014, but I've had this problem for quite a few versions of wall worm as well.

I tried to open up a simple reference smd model, with one bone, but I still need the bone in order to modify a model.
What happens is that the bone is nowhere to be found, and the mesh itself seems to have taken on the name of the bone?

Here's an image for example:

This has been troubling me for quite a while now, and I have noticed this even on models I made from scratch, and have decided to reimport as SMD. Thanks in advance if anyone could help me!

wallworm

The importer chooses to use a mesh instead of a bone for any bone with meshes in the SMD. I'm coming down ill at the moment so I'll explain this more later. Whether an object is a bone or a node doesn't matter. It will work the same. There is no technical difference between a bone and a geometry node in Max in terms of exporting to SMD. The advantage in this case is that you don't need a skin modifier.

But I'll consider adding a feature to skip that method. For meshes that don't need a skin, like this example, it increases scene performance and cuts down complexity.

Anonyma

That would be a wonderful feature, as I generally use other imported SMDs as a size reference, and then keep the old bone for my new model.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk