Missing MDL file

Started by Mad21sun, March 10, 2011, 02:17:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad21sun

Hey Wall Worm,

First I'd like to thank you for creating a fantastic set of tools for 3ds max! Now onto my issues.

I followed your documentation and your videos and I seemed to have run into an issue. When I run the (Export Model) under the (Model & Basic QC) roll out it only creates the (.qc & .smd) files. I don't see the (mdl) files in the same folder, which I believe are necessary in order to load into the model viewer. You seem to have these generated in your folders when I view your videos. Are these file supposed to be in the same folder as the aforementioned files are are these being placed somewhere else.

Any feedback is deeply appreciated.

Thanks

wallworm

Good question. I guess this is something that I should have documented more!

In WWMT Settings you choose the SDK Model_Src path... and the model has it's own sub-path to add to that with it's Model Path. When you export... WWMT makes the QC and SMDs in this location along with a BATCH FILE. That batch file is what will run the Source Model Compiler. If there is no BATCH File... then WWMT isn't fully configured: Go into the WWMT settings and click the Bin Dir button and browse to the Bin folder.

Example Bin Dir Paths:
Orangebox:
QuoteC:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\YOURSTEAMUSERNAME\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin
Left 4 Dead:
QuoteC:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead\bin

Now if your Bin Dir is set, when you compile the model there should be the Batch File. That file will automatically run at the end when you click the Run Export if you also have Compile Model on Export checked in the WWMT settings. If not, you can always browse to the batch file and run it.

NOTE! If you are making models for Left 4 Dead, then you also need to set the Game Info Dir which was added to the 0.999 Settings.

When you do this, the compiler will run. Make sure that Steam is running during this process or it will fail.

The compiler will not make MDL files into this directory. Instead, it compiles them into the actual game model folders.

Using CS:S as an Example.

If your QC, SMD and Batches get exported to this path:

QuoteC:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\YOURSTEAMUSERNAME\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\modelsrc\myProjects\thisProject

Then the actual MDL file will (AFTER the Compiler runs in the batch file) be located at:

QuoteC:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\YOURSTEAMUSERNAME\counter-strike source\cstrike\models\myProjects\thisProject

Hopefully that makes sense. Also, I'm going to move this thread up into the WWMT section shortly so others will find it as well.

Mad21sun

Thanks for the feedback wallworm. I was able to follow along and I think that I almost got it. However, it seems like I hit a few snags along the way.

I was able to produce the batch file however I seem to be getting a series of errors and notifications (see image). Also, I'm still not getting the mdl file in the proper folder. Any ideas?

I'll continue playing with it to see if I can figure it out.

Thanks!

wallworm

I see the problems.

Again, in the Settings your Default Model Path should be just to the modelsrc folder... so in your screen it should say:

C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\mad21sun\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\modelsrc

and your Default Material Path should be:

C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\mad21sun\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\materialsrc

Those values, once set, do not change between sessions unless you change the mod you are working on.

In the Model & Basic QC rollout, you will enter the name of the folder where your model is going to go starting from the current model folder of your mod. In the example, if you have a folder called "thisProject" inside of your modelsrc folder where the model will go, then you will just enter thisProject (as you did in the screen shot). You will also need to make sure that there is a folder called thisProject inside the model folder of your mod (in Counter-Strike Source models as opposed to the SDK modelsrc).

wallworm

Are you getting along now?

Mad21sun

Thanks for clarifying everything for me, it worked out just like you said. :D

Cheers

turnstyle

I'm having same but different issue.  When the batch starts to create file it informs me that it can't write the file.  Even though the tool wrote the SMD file just fine.

wallworm

Quote from: turnstyle on April 26, 2011, 05:44:43 PM
I'm having same but different issue.  When the batch starts to create file it informs me that it can't write the file.  Even though the tool wrote the SMD file just fine.

This is probably because the final destination (in the game folders) don't have all the paths premade as well. Vtex.exe and Studiomdl.exe won't create folders when compiling...

I just happened to write some about this today in a new set of docs at http://wallworm.com/projects/utilities/docs/troubleshooting/getting_paths_set.html

Check out the example at the bottom as well as the section about Paths Must Exist Before Compile.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk