Using XRef Scenes for your Level

Started by wallworm, May 03, 2014, 02:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

Using XRef Scenes is a very powerful way for teams to collaborate. I've been using them loosely for years in WW. But there have always been limitations and quirks, none of which were documented.

Because I didn't want to write down all of the quirks in the new book I'm working on, I took the last week to fix all of these problems so that the process if very smooth. WW 2.05 has improved XRef support.

Before you try to use XREF Scenes, please be aware of this:

ANY EXISTING SCENE with WWMT Helpers needs to have the WWMT Helpers updated to the latest version of WWMT before being referenced in another file. You can do this by opening WWMT helpers in a scene once with WWMT after this update. If you don't do this, the other scene is not guaranteed to work, and will likely have a bunch of error notices about wire parameters if you used LODs. (WW 2.05+ no longer uses scripted parameter wiring in LODs because those cause errors in XREF Scenes... which is one reason you need to update existing WWMT Helpers.)

Because XRef Scene objects cannot be selected and edited, you must use a special function in WW if you want to create a WW Proxy of a WWMT helper in an XRef Scene. Open the WW Proxy Tool floater and select the desired WWMT Model from the Model List, then click Make Prox. The proxy will be selected in the scene.

Xref Object support is currently limited. At the moment, it is only supported for meshes and bones to be assigned to a WWMT helper. (This does not include hulls, LODs or other elements of a WWMT yet.)

wallworm

Since posting above, support for XRef Scenes has been vastly expanded.

You can now access displacements from XRef Scenes for use in tools in current scene by using the Displacement Proxy geometry class. This can be created with the Displacement Floater in the Level Design Menu.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk