Trouble Getting Textures To Show - CS:GO

Started by eWasteman, May 06, 2014, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eWasteman

So I'm having trouble getting textures to show up on my models once they've been exported using WWMT from 3DS Max 2015.

Here's my settings to start off with - auto imported for CSGO

I'll go through my current creation process step by step so maybe someone can see where I'm going wrong

Create a basic box primitive shape, name it wwmtbox
Convert to editable poly
Unwrap UVW, polygon selection tool, open UV editor, select all
Mapping > Flatten Mapping > OK
Tools > render UV template
seam edges off > render
save as bitmap, open with photoshop
Apply my texture to the shapes
Save as bitmap
Back in 3DsMax open the material editor
Basic paramaters > defuse > select the bitmap I just created
Drag the texture onto my primitive box shape, it's applied perfectly to the shape

Rename the tree in the slate view of the material editor so the exported texture file name will be the same
Open WWMT, pick the model
Hit export QC + Model
Hit export VTF's
Hit export textures in the utilities dropdown (I assume this does the same thing)

The files now appear in the following directories
G:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\models\eWasteman
G:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\materials\eWasteman

open the CSGO model viewer
file > load > wwmtbox

And voila....you can see the model viewer recognizes it should be applying the texture

:'(

wallworm

What file type is your bitmap on the material? The exporter will only export TGA files. It will include PSD files too, but you have to enable that in the global setting labeled "Allow PSD". This option is turned off by default in WW because PSD files created directly in Max via Viewport Canvas often crash the texture compiler for some reason... so I force users to see the PSD Warning link next to turning this option on.

Maybe this is the problem?

If not, the next step is to click File > Save As > Archive and send me the zip file of the scene so I can see if there is something odd in the file itself.

eWasteman

Quote from: wallworm on May 06, 2014, 07:25:28 PM
What file type is your bitmap on the material? The exporter will only export TGA files. It will include PSD files too, but you have to enable that in the global setting labeled "Allow PSD". This option is turned off by default in WW because PSD files created directly in Max via Viewport Canvas often crash the texture compiler for some reason... so I force users to see the PSD Warning link next to turning this option on.

Maybe this is the problem?

If not, the next step is to click File > Save As > Archive and send me the zip file of the scene so I can see if there is something odd in the file itself.

It's working now - must of been the fact I wasn't exporting the textured UV map from photoshop as a TGA.

Now I can get on with some more complex models, thank you!

wallworm

Glad you got it working.

Unless Valve had updated the VTEX application lately, the only way to automate the bitmaps is with TGA, PSD (and PFM). This is simply how the Valve compiler works. If/when other bitmap types are valid in VTEX, I will likely add them into the exporter too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk