Error exporting materials

Started by TooL, June 21, 2014, 09:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

Quote from: TooL on June 22, 2014, 03:45:38 PM
Thanks so much for the insight and help, WW is definitely making this a lot less of a headache than I was first thinking it was going to be (mapping/modeling for source)

You are welcome. Please share some screen shots of your projects with everyone as you get going.

And if you want to expand your toolbag with even more, consider supporting my efforts by getting CorVex, Carver and/or Detailer. I can't image making a level without CorVex anymore... and the others are also great tools depending on your projects.

TooL

Those look pretty handy for sure, I'm a tad strapped for cash at the moment (waiting on a contract for the summer then for the start of the next year so..)
I will definitely be trying throw some money at you when I can cause these tools are well worth it and the fact that you have made them freely available (WWMT) you should definitely get something in return :D

I'll share what I have when I start getting some texturing going probably. Right now I'm just going to be doing block out and collision mesh tests so we can get some play testing going on our server before I actually put effort into making it look good :P

TooL

Is there anyway to find planar geometry in a collision mesh quickly?  Tried to remake my collision mesh for the ship hull and keep getting the

Warning: Model has 2-dimensional geometry (less thatn 0.500 inches thick on any axis)!!!

error. Only one of them at this point but I keep getting it pretty much anytime I touch the collision mesh (as $concave)

The parts around the hole are now 1 box at the back, 1 on each side and the other part is all one piece, the floor below is one piece (no hole on the second floor) and all the pieces for the hull are all boxes as well

It should be thick enough ...

Even if I take those and do the generate hulls in WWHullHelper the export still gives the same error...

I have gone through with element mode and selected each piece and did the "Detach" with WWHH to check and there wasn't any extra planes or something hidden...

wallworm

Well, first verify that the hull has been Processed (The Process Hull button in WWMT UI). That makes sure all elements are in their own smoothing group.

That could potentially solve any problem.

If not, there is no tool in the free WW collection to find planar pieces. But I did add this as a function in Carver. There is a button that will filter the current selection to Planar objects.

TooL

Yeah I've hit the Process button probably 50 times :P

Well crap guess I'll have to try some more stuff.

wallworm

I'm at a loss as to what the problem is. You could send me the file and I can look at it. I've never really run into this problem. Things I might try is welding verts, removing edges from coplanar polygons, resetting xform... Make sure Normals are pointing in the correct direction.

TooL

I was about to say maybe it's the coplanar thing but I just decided I'll give it one more explode try and of course found a zfighting plane hiding in one of the walls, no idea how i missed it last time.

wallworm

Glad you discovered that. I don't think coplanar polygons should really matter for the hulls... but it might be possible that a rounding error could potentially create a non-convex model at export.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk