Normal Tools

Started by wallworm, August 06, 2014, 09:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuxmask75

Heya! Great tool been using it for some months now.
I was wondering if there are any plans to add an Undo functionality to the tool? Im using 3ds Max 2015. Also wondering if there is a way to use edge selection to select normal?

wallworm

Thanks for buying WW tools :)

I will certainly add edge selection support in an update (can't promise an exact date).

As for Undo, it has been a common request. Unfortunately, there is a limitation in the MAXScript implementation of access to Undo with some scripted functions for normal editing. I've added the standard code for this in the past and it simply doesn't work. I will try to pull some strings with the Max devs to add support for this but even if that happens I'm pretty certain they won't add it into Max 2015. If it ends up working, you'd probably only benefit in a future Max version. In any event, I will let you know when I have more information on this.

Joris Ceoen

Quote from: tuxmask75 on October 27, 2018, 07:58:12 PM
Im using 3ds Max 2015. Also wondering if there is a way to use edge selection to select normal?
If you're using a student version of 3DS Max, it's really just a great idea to upgrade to the latest version!

tuxmask75

Quote from: wallworm on October 27, 2018, 09:57:05 PM
Thanks for buying WW tools :)

I will certainly add edge selection support in an update (can't promise an exact date).

As for Undo, it has been a common request. Unfortunately, there is a limitation in the MAXScript implementation of access to Undo with some scripted functions for normal editing. I've added the standard code for this in the past and it simply doesn't work. I will try to pull some strings with the Max devs to add support for this but even if that happens I'm pretty certain they won't add it into Max 2015. If it ends up working, you'd probably only benefit in a future Max version. In any event, I will let you know when I have more information on this.
Best of luck on them string pulls ! and looking forwards to any new updates !

Quote from: Joris Ceoen on October 28, 2018, 07:22:29 AM
Quote from: tuxmask75 on October 27, 2018, 07:58:12 PM
Im using 3ds Max 2015. Also wondering if there is a way to use edge selection to select normal?
If you're using a student version of 3DS Max, it's really just a great idea to upgrade to the latest version!
I have a Perpetual license, I don't like the new licensing system they forced on our heads, 4,000 for just 3 years? ouch!  Eventually I'll have to make the dive but I'm holding off on that for as long as possible.

tuxmask75

Ok I have a Question here.
After adding the normal tools modifier and adjusting some normals, I collapsing the stack to make it into an edit poly, and noticed that I'm not able to add a new edit poly to stack and keep the adjusted normals. (even after applying a reset Xform.)

After doing the above, I select vertex or other edit modes like polygon, or edge mode, I can still see the normal tools as part of the edit poly options in the panel .( shouldn't it be gone?) also is there any way to bake the normals to the mesh so that they can pass up the stack for the new edit poly modifier?
( Note: I can add an edit Mesh to the stack and it keeps my normals, but I don't use that for modeling. )

Shown below is the Normal Tools inside the collapsed edit polly.

wallworm

So the Edit Poly modifier, unfortunately, destroys explicit normals. This is a problem in many of the modifiers inside Max. See the docs on Edit Normals Modifier. The Max dev team is aware of this limitation in many modifiers.  You could always start an idea to ask for support for this on the Autodesk Ideas page to try and spur development in this regard.

As for the Normal Tools rollout being in the editable poly. That is just because the Normal TOols rollout is a custom attribute. When Max collapses the stack it keeps the custom attributes. Luckily, it simply means that the Normal Tools will suddenly become available inside the modify tab of the object. So at that point, if you click a function, it will simply add an edit normal modifier and run the function.

tuxmask75

Quote from: wallworm on November 01, 2018, 03:23:37 PM
So the Edit Poly modifier, unfortunately, destroys explicit normals. This is a problem in many of the modifiers inside Max. See the docs on Edit Normals Modifier. The Max dev team is aware of this limitation in many modifiers.  You could always start an idea to ask for support for this on the Autodesk Ideas page to try and spur development in this regard.

As for the Normal Tools rollout being in the editable poly. That is just because the Normal TOols rollout is a custom attribute. When Max collapses the stack it keeps the custom attributes. Luckily, it simply means that the Normal Tools will suddenly become available inside the modify tab of the object. So at that point, if you click a function, it will simply add an edit normal modifier and run the function.

Thank you very much for the quick response !

tuxmask75

Quick Question, Any way to view a selected normal's rotation? If not, than is it possible to add that to the tool?

wallworm

So you mean to display the currently selected normal's vector? The normals only store a normal (normalized vector) but do not store rotation values. Is this what you would like to see?

tuxmask75

Actually yeah that could be cool, but ehh, now that you mention that it only stores the normalized vector, than it may not be so useful in the end afterall. I was hoping to be able to view the data broken down as X,Y,and Z value, and than select another normal, and manually type in lets say the X, Y or Z axis values separately Basicly a method, to have complete controls over the normals. (If for example I was happy with the X and Z rotation , but only needed to effect the Y axis)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk