Upcoming WW Updates and Installation Path

Started by wallworm, September 27, 2014, 11:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

I'm working on an update to Wall Worm that will allow you to install WW in any arbitrary path.

There are several reasons I'm doing this. One will be a future installer that installs into a writable directory so that there can be a "Download and Install Updates" function. Another benefit of this is using the same Wall Worm installation for all versions of Max installed. I'm not sure how many people have multiple versions installed at once, but I do. The benefit to me is that I can more easily update tests with older versions of Max... so it will likely mean that future WW updates will get some more testing in the older Max versions.

But this update is likely going to take me a couple weeks to finish and test. So until finished, there will likely be a bit of a pause in any WW updates.

wallworm

If you are adventurous, please consider testing the new Wall Worm DEVELOPMENT Version. (This is not the same download that is available from the normal links.)

NOTE: If you test this version, PLEASE PROVIDE FEEDBACK. Of special note is anything that is broken.

There are many changes in the changelog in that ZIP file. The main thing that needs testing is utilizing the new installation methods. You can now install Wall Worm into any path (not just the MAX ROOT/ scripts folder).

When you run the install.ms, you'll be prompted to use the directory you ran the install.ms from (where WW is currently extracted to) or if it should be copied to the Userscripts folder. Letting the installer copy to the Userscripts folder will ensure that you can always update WW automatically via the Check for Updates function. If you use the current directory, you can also use the Auto-Update function so long as the containing folder has User Write Permission on your computer. (Tip: The Scripts folder inside the 3ds Max Root does not have User Write permission unless you manually changed that. A folder like Public Downloads usually does have User write permission.)

If you only use one installation of Max and only one Windows User Account is used, I recommend letting WW get copied to the Userscripts folder. If you want to share the install between multiple installations of Max or multiple Windows users on the computer, I recommend you unzip WW to your Public Downloads folder and install there.

If you delete the original WallWorm.com folder inside your scripts folder, you may get script startup errors when opening scenes that previously had Anvil opened or had WW displacements. This error will go away if you open Anvil again. But here is more information on this error and multiple ways to fix it. The DEV and future releases of Anvil won't have this error.

wallworm

The DEV linked above has been updated to fix a bug exporting displacements in the VMF exporter.

wallworm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk