[HELP] Wall Worm Hull creator problem

Started by Pretbek, July 25, 2014, 12:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pretbek

Dear forum,

I recently started using the Wall Worm tool for creating Source SDK models. However, I encounter a problem which I really need your help with.

Whenever I press the "Create Hull from Selection" button, my whole model disappears instead of creating and showing the hull which is shown in the tutorial.
To clear things up I made a video record of what actually happens when I press the button

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx4qhYp_Mi4&feature=youtu.be

I hope you can help me with this matter.

King regards Pretbek (Andrew)

wallworm

So I tried to recreate the error and was unable. All works as expected here on a simple recreation of your model.

So the next question is what version of Max are you using? The tool does depend on using a version of Max with MassFX (or older versions that had the NVidia PhysX but I no longer test those versions).

Also, do you have the latest service pack for your version of Max installed?

If you have the latest service pack, then it may be something in the scene. I may need a sample of the scene itself. You can email me via the email address in the WW readme file that comes with WW.

Pretbek

I am using a Student version of 3DS max 2013 right now. I dont have massFX installed I believe.

About the service pack, i'm not really sure. Downloaded this version roughly a year ago. Could you send me a link where I can check whether I got the latest version or not? Ill send you the scene right now

wallworm

MassFX was included in 3ds Max 2013 I believe. So that should not be the issue.

The latest patch for Max can be downloaded from: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/downloads

If you have a student license, I suggest upgrading to Max 2014 and download it's latest service pack. 2014 is currently the best and most stable version.

wallworm

I opened the file you sent me and Hull Helper worked as expected on it. So my guess is that your Max needs patched.

I did notice that your model is scaled at the object level. This is unrelated to your hull helper problem. But I suggest you read this document to avoid future headaches: http://dev.wallworm.com/document/127/my_model_scale_is_wrong.html

Pretbek

I just updated my service pack on 2013, and now when I use the selection option the collision is instantly made, just like on the video.

I really want to thank you for helping me fixing this problem and I appreciate all the work you've done with the Wall Worm Tool.

Thanks alot!

wallworm

Joris Ceoen

It's never a bad idea upgrading to 2014 anyways ;) I don't know about 2013, but I remember going from 2012 to 2014 and the viewport render speed was incredibly improved, as well as being able to rotate in the viewport when creating faces.

bird poo

I was going to create a topic but I believe my problems at the moment are exactly yours, when I click the "Create hulls from selection" my model disapears forever but the thing is, I am already using 3dsmax 2013 so upgrading it should not be the issue here? On a side note, I don't have "NVidia PhysX" (I own a ATI card) and I never installed any "MassFX" plug-ins or anything besides wallworm and what comes with it.

I also have another couple problems witch you might be able to help me out with, my model has a huge hit box, 100 times it's size and dispite of it's orientation beeing displaced correctly in 3dsmax, after it's compiled it shows upside down.

It's been a long trip getting used to 3ds and wallworm but I can't deny how amazing your program is that's why I'm trying so hard to learn everything about it, and so far this has been the only problems I havent been able to fix for myself.

I havent started a new topic because I figured there was no need to, hope that's ok.

http://www.filedropper.com/dragonskull1 (I uploaded my max model if you have time and can check it out and tell me what's wrong with it and how to fix it would mean alot to me)

wallworm

One of the two things is likely the cause:

1) You may need to install the latest service pack for your version of Max.

2) Make sure the object's XForm is properly reset before using this on an object. For example, if you've moved the pivot away from its original position related to the object or if you have scaled the object at the Object level, you can have this problem. It isn't that the model is gone (because the original is simply hidden in the scene and you can get it back by clicking Unhide All in your Quad Menu). It appears to disappear because the original is hidden and the copy is placed in some offset location relative to your object's transform. Look into adding an XForm modifier to your object and collapsing it before you use the Hull Helper. Also make sure the pivot is where you expect it before you apply the XForm mod/collapse.

bird poo

Wow, I was able to fix both the orientation and huge hitbox problems, turns out the pivot was completly off centered. As for the hull I still haven't tried because I'm pretty sure I'll have to upgrade my 3ds 2013 version, and as I am using a pirated version I'm afraid It's gonna mess it up but thanks for the quick reply, it really helped me alot!   :)

wallworm

Quote from: bird poo on August 28, 2014, 06:08:30 PM
Wow, I was able to fix both the orientation and huge hitbox problems, turns out the pivot was completly off centered.

Resetting the XForm is the primary solution for most problems anyone has.

Quote from: bird poo on August 28, 2014, 06:08:30 PM
As for the hull I still haven't tried because I'm pretty sure I'll have to upgrade my 3ds 2013 version, and as I am using a pirated version I'm afraid It's gonna mess it up but thanks for the quick reply, it really helped me alot!   :)

I recommend that you get a legitimate and free Student license from Autodesk. Many of the people I help daily have this license... which is legal and up-to-date.

bird poo

I was not aware of this possibility, all I had ever heard before was how unafordable 3ds was :) I'm grabbing 2015 version right now!

wallworm

Quote from: bird poo on August 28, 2014, 06:54:03 PM
I was not aware of this possibility, all I had ever heard before was how unafordable 3ds was :) I'm grabbing 2015 version right now!

That is a good idea. Also, please make sure that you install Service Pack 2. You can find updates by clicking Help > Autodesk Product Information > Check for Updates . 3ds Max 2015 SP2 is here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk