Ghost Town 0.8 being tested

Started by wallworm, September 30, 2014, 11:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

I've got to play with the beta of ghostTown 0.8 over the last couple of weeks. It's looking really great. For those of you who don't have GT, you should look into it--especially if you like creating urban environments and cityscapes. I've always enjoyed using GT.

No word on the stable release of this update, but I wanted to introduce the WW world who may not have seen it yet. If you join the GT servers, let them know you came from the WW camp.

Joris Ceoen

Wooow. And this can be used for Source? Because if so, it would be a dream come true lol!

wallworm

Quote from: jorisceoen on October 01, 2014, 02:56:36 AM
Wooow. And this can be used for Source? Because if so, it would be a dream come true lol!

Well... Yes. And No.

:)

Like so many things it depends on what you are trying to do specifically. My guess is that it would have limited success being useable as World Geometry straight off the press. But I will personally test that and see if there are recommendations that can be made to make it more viable as world geo.

As models, yes.

As 2d sky backdrop, yes.

My suggestion is to use it to build the atmosphere around the level.

Redskull

It's kind of funny to me to see this cause I was literally thinking of making a city map. Then I realized the whole idea is extremely difficult to do. I was wondering if you guys ever attempted this?

I know I've seen a map floating around of supermario sunshine where all the mapper did was rip the main town from the game and added clipping to it. So...meh..I guess it may be possible for you to do that with gt. I'm guessing it probably wouldn't be a good idea thought. Do you think its possible to convert the models generated from gt into convex models that could then be converted to brushes in hammer?

wallworm

Like mentioned above... I'm not really convinced that making world geometry will be feasible. Until the 0.8 version is actually finished, I won't make a final claim, though. Right now it's in beta and still has some bugs. The older 0.5 version did not create convex geometry necessarily either, and I expect this to be no different from that regard. However, GT 0.8 is really exciting, and the new node editor interface is really cool.

My own intention is to use GT for creating the atmosphere/setting surrounding playable areas. Then use CorVex and standard Max/WW tools to make the playable areas. Of course, the GT models can also be used for playable areas too... but you'll need to make collision hulls for them. That isn't such a big problem with Hull Helper in WW, though.

I wouldn't use the WW Hulls for world geometry, however. For world geometry, I'd stick to simple primitives and CorVex.

Infidel

Obviously the final verdict is out on the actual usefulness of this fro the Source platform, however, could we not use this to create model based facades for world geometry?

- D

wallworm

Well, again, I see a lot of use for this in Source. Just not as a basis for the world geometry. However, the node editor is scriptable and I've spent a lot of time with the developer in Skype recently getting answers about various things in the toolset. I expect that you can possibly learn to create world geometry with it... but it's not something that I ever intend on spending a lot of time supporting publicly because my guess is that it would take more understanding of Source+Max+Wall Worm than is common... and my energy to keep answering questions on it would probably exhaust quickly.

But I see GT as a great weapon for Source developers. How else are you going to make a seamless skyline and skybox models that fit perfectly with your level? Your current options are model it all yourself... which would take far too long to generate this type of complexity and detail all alone.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk