Custom player animations

Started by jammarman, October 04, 2014, 05:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jammarman

Hey, I am trying to make some custom player animations for gmod darkrp. I want to create animations like the taunts and gestures already in Gmod. (e.g act_dance)

I have gotten as far as animating a half life 2 biped, and testing the animation in hlmv, and it works. I was wondering, how would I export the animation so it can be used by all player models, rather than exporting within a playermodel.
Any help would be much apreciated. :)

wallworm

The animations are always exported as animated SMD files. You can always reference them in any other QC you ever make. All you really need to do it make sure that the bone names, hierarchy and scales are identical.

Hopefully this answers the question.

jammarman

Is there a way to export them so that I do not have to decompile/recompile all the playermodels I want be able to use the animations

wallworm

Two things:

1) Most importantly, I'm not talking from experience, as I've never attempted this process. I'm only answering giving my own knowledge and understanding.

2) I do not think you can accomplish this without recompiling your model.*

* Although I expect you'll need to recompile, you may not need to decompile your original model. But you will probably save yourself the most time by using Google or visiting Facepunch where there are a lot of people experienced with modding/altering existing content. Facepunch is a great place, but be warned that it seems to have a lot of teenagers answering where they shouldn't, so you need to filter all of the answers you acquire through a BS sieve. (Not to mention that Facepunch is probably the only Source community that has grown somewhat anti-WallWorm in the last year or two--probably because my attentions have not been focused much on re-exporting existing content which is what that community excels at. What I'm saying is that you can probably get your answer there but you will also get a lot of misinformation, especially regarding both 3ds Max and Wall Worm.)

From my understanding, you can try a couple things. You could export your model with animations in WW and then make a new QC that includes the current existing MDL and adds your newer MDL as animations--and recompile that QC. Or you can see if there is any way to insert the animations into the existing MDL by editing the MDL directly with a HEX Editor.

How far either suggestion will take you, I have no idea. They might both fail. I've never used either method. I've also not opened a Hex editor. But over the years I've seen that it is how people change material names, directories, etc, of existing MDL files. In my opinion, it seems very complex.

At all times, the best scenario is simply to get access to the original raw content. It makes things so much easier to manage. In this case, access to the original SMD/QC would mean that you could just edit the QC with your new sequences and re-compile... then voilĂ ! But getting the originals is the problem. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk