"File Open Error"?

Started by CarbonCopyCat, October 22, 2014, 01:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarbonCopyCat

Whenever I open up Anvil, a message pops up with the title "File Open Error" and the text "Error Loading Paramblock2" as well as "Invalid file-only partially loaded." It doesn't seem to have caused any problems so far, but I wanted to report this in case it's actually something a bit more serious.

wallworm

When this happens, please press F11 and copy/paste the entire error.

What version of Max are you using?

I saw something like this in the past with materials created with the WW Shader from a period before a certain update. Since it is happening right when Anvil is opened, my best guess is that the file that contains your default Displacement material contains an old/invalid material. To test this, close Max, go to the your Max Project folder (by default this is C:\Users\WindowsUser\Documents\3dsMax but might be elsewhere as mine is not at that location) and inside that folder is a folder named materiallibraries. Look in the materiallibraries folder for a file named: WallWormDisplacementMaterials.mat and rename it to some other name (like WallWormDisplacementMaterialsBAK.mat). Then reopen Max and open Anvil.

If this solves the problem, it means that there are some materials that need to be updated to use the current WW Shader. If you have used the Material Library Generator in the past, I would recommend that you recreate any of those material libraries, especially if they were created with a version of WW from before 2014. (I don't remember the exact verion/date of the WW shader that was messed up.)

wallworm

Did you ever alleviate this issue? I'm expecting the steps above fixed the problem. Please let me know.

CarbonCopyCat

Sorry about that, the steps fixed the issue. I just forgot to reply after I got it fixed.

wallworm

Opening this error back up because K@rt is having this issue lately. If anyone is experiencing this issue, please take note of anything you may be doing differently lately to see this.

The next update in WW will have a new function to purge some utility files that WW creates on the system. There are a couple material library files that WW makes when using the VMT Importer and the Displacement Material (as noted above). The next release will allow you to delete those without tracking them down in case corrupted files are related to the issue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk