Airplane Economy Seat Models

Started by the6thmonkey, November 03, 2014, 02:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the6thmonkey

Hello, I thought I'd share the two models I've been working on as part of a custom map for a mod called "no more room in hell".  Both models have normal maps:

1030 poly

2302 poly

These are my first finished models, I'm considering using wall worm for the rest of the level.  It seems to be a pretty nice tool :)

wallworm

Thank you for sharing! Good job.

I look forward to seeing your progress.

wallworm

I keep meaning to do this whenever someone shares a model, but I always forget.

Can you share some thoughts on your experience making the model? For example, what was your level of experience making models for Source before you started with WW? What have you learned? What would you like to see moving forward?

the6thmonkey

I've done plenty of level design but to be honest I'm a bit of a newbie with modelling.  I did a small amount of modelling for softimage in the past.  I have recently got back into modelling after finishing my engineering degree at uni and decided on max.  The 2 models you see are pretty much my first original models.  I'd say the main thing that attracted me to your tools was that they simplify a lot of the processes required in content creation.  For me anything that makes a process more efficient  is always better for me

Just in terms of ideas for your software.  I know it would be incredibly difficult but if you could make your software compatible with other game engines (perhaps unreal) you'd effectively be creating the start of a universal level editor which I imagine would increase your user base

Anyway from what I've seen your software is very impressive and I look forward to using it in future

wallworm

Thank you for the input. Hopefully we keep seeing your new creations. I always get excited to see people coming in that are level designers at heart. The masses use WW for just the models, but I'm eager to see more people getting into the level design tools. (I first started WW when I had been mostly building levels in Hammer and was mortified that making props was so complicated. Now I make levels in Max alone.)

Continue to share your feedback (and more screen shots). There are several guys on here who can help solve problems whenever they arise.

As far as expanding to other engines. It's certainly something that has crossed my mind. But I think that the incentive for me is too low. While many people use WW for models, the people interested in the level design side are very few. I have played around in EU4, so if I ever start some major project in that engine I am sure to adapt WW for that. But at this point, my focus is on CS:GO/Insurgency so I cannot currently justify the effort.

the6thmonkey

A further update

Added 3 new models (Overhead luggage and window props)

Here is them assembled in a scene:

Regarding wall worm I can't seem to get the collision box and model to line up unless I bring both objects to 0,0,0 before compile.  If you have any advice on that, it would be brilliant.

Also not started using wall worm for editing the level yet only the models but its been great so far :)

wallworm

It's looking great.

Getting the hulls to line up is us dependent on a couple things. If you are using $staticprop then it should be as simple as making sure that you have the XForm reset on all the nodes.

If not using $staticprop, then it can be a little tricky. This is because of how each element must be weighted and parented. I'd explain this in more detail except that I'm about to add a new update to WW this week that will make the current method obsolete. I've already got this in the DEV version of WW but will need to do quite a bit of testing so it may have unexpected result. In this update, you can simply make each hull object a child of any bones or nodes in the main model. (if you use it, let me know).

Joris Ceoen

I didn't realise this was for NMRIH! I worked a lot with TheGregster101 back in the time :) I'm looking forward to the final result ^^

wallworm

There is an update to WW today that you should install. After installing, please re-export your models and let me know how it works. If they still don't export correctly, then send me an archive (File > Save As... > Archive) and I will see what is amiss.

the6thmonkey

Thanks guy, I'll make sure to post developments
Oh and I just re-exported one of the models with the new version of wallworm at the origin and its still  fine :)

wallworm

Quote from: the6thmonkey on November 13, 2014, 05:13:31 AM
Oh and I just re-exported one of the models with the new version of wallworm at the origin and its still  fine :)

I guess that I meant to say that you should test with the objects away from the Origin as you mentioned a problem with that above.

There was another user I helped on Steam or Skype yesterday that had some offset hulls and those were a result of the hulls having a Skin modifier with no bones assigned in the skin. For future reference, do not use Skin modifiers on meshes unless necessary. Adding a Skin modifier without bones can cause unexpected offsets.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk