Prop doesn't show up in game if animated

Started by kinggambit, November 08, 2014, 02:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinggambit

I've gotten erratic results, but I think most of it is due to my shift+drag duplicating my prop (I did click on clear WWMT and delete WWMT prior to duplicating).

First compile: perfect.
Second compile: added extra sequence. Showed up in hammer. Didn't show in game. Also got this error flooding my console:
CModelRenderSystem::SetupFlashlightsAndDecals sorted model list count incorrect! A model was probably unable to load

Ever since then, I've tried to duplicate the model and test out various ways to get my model to work again.

Currently I can get models to work if I check $staticprop, but once I compile without it, I get the persisting error (even when I recompile with $staticprop afterward).

I've updated WallWorm. However, I can't seem to get it to compile at all (some error with sequences)

I suspect the big problem stems from duplicating my original model and I messed up clearing WWMT.

Anyone have experience with this issue?

wallworm

Not seen this one. Can you click File > Save As... > Archive and email the file to me. I'll see what is wrong.

kinggambit

wallworm

Well you exposed a bug I just introduced into WWMT regarding sequences. I'll load an update in a few minutes.

wallworm

So I've fixed the bug in WWMT that was stopping the export of animated models. Download latest WW for this update.

I was then able to export your model. I did make all the iris rungs children of the central ring, moved it to the world origin and used Reset XForm on the nodes, as well as collapsed to editable poly. I did this because the bones were being offset some, and for animated models it's usually best to design them with a root bone at the world origin. That isn't always necessary... but with this model being so far from the origin, it just made it easier.

If you need me to send you the edited file, let me know and I'll email it to you for your reference.

kinggambit

ah I see! I really should get in the habit of centering objects to the origin and resetting the transform before compiling.

As usual, thanks for your help Shawn!  ;D

I'll post results once I get it working.

wallworm

Well I don't always place things at origin. In fact, not having to is a main feature in WW. But it's when you are using hierarchies and animations that it's sometimes best to do that. I've made models similar to your setup away from origin, but it was failing on this model and I honestly didn't want to take the time to figure out why late last night... and it was easier to move to origin.

kinggambit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs7fr26FfrU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXwGVXD7qEQ

I don't use animations much but that's good to know.

Joris Ceoen

Wow that actually looks like a very cool map you're building there :) I love the animated textures (or what else it may be) on the walls with the moving elements behind the glass. Looks really sci-fy. What kind of map is it going to be?

kinggambit

Thanks! the tubes are supposed to have some kinda energy pulses (not very good at texturing though as you might notice).

It's a minigame map with 9 arenas (pistol, shotgun, sniper, etc.) where the players get teleported to various locations around the world.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk