Modeling + Compiling for Garrysmod

Started by Integrex, November 29, 2014, 08:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Integrex

I've been trying to get my textures to show up on my model in the TF2 HLMV. The model and texture compile successfully and model appears and plays correct animations but the model's skin is purple and black checkerboard.

I don't know which of these paths is incorrect. Where am I supposed to look to troubleshoot a problem like this? Which file will hold the secrets clues of why this won't work?

Please advise

Integrex

Joris Ceoen

Quote from: Integrex on November 29, 2014, 08:51:40 AMI uploaded my SMD, VMT and MDL files to my host, let me know if anyone would like to see anything else.
Let me take a look at it.

wallworm

The most likely cause is that VTEX.exe (the program Valve controls) outputs the VTFs into a specific directory. In this case, the VTFs are likely inside the actual TF2 materials/testwalls folder (not the Gmod tf2 sub folders). You'll probably need to copy the VTFs over from the TF2 directory after you compile the VTFs.

Joris Ceoen

It's probably what Shawn said. I couldn't load up the model as Gmod keeps giving me a "Could not load game_sounds_manifest" error. I hope that it'll get fixed though. The vmt looked fine for the directories.

Integrex

Thanks both of you, I will try to change let you know how it goes. I think they're already in the right folder though.

Pic attached. These are both the model source and output directories.

Jori, if you use the wrong HLMV it gives that error I think. Try TF2 HLMV it seems to work.

Integrex

SOLVED  ;D

HLMV in the TF2 Dir is looking for the materials inside the TF2 Dir.

Moved VTF / VMT from:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\GarrysMod\tf\materials\testwalls

To:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf

I am ultimately trying to create props for Garry's mod and only chose TF2 because it sounded like the most recent engine of the 3.

Thank you for your help!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk