CorVex Utility Tips

Started by wallworm, December 20, 2014, 11:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

I have not yet posted many docs on the CorVex Utility Floater that was demonstrated in the Terrain Video (shown below). I was recently asked about getting good results.

When using the CorVex Utility Floater, here are a few procedural tips:

• The order the splines are selected determines the order each section is made. This means that if there are three splines that represent the boundaries of Area 1 and Area 2 where spline 1 is Area 1 Boundary, spline 2 is the Boundary of Area 1 & Area 2, and spline 3 is the boundary of only Area 2, select the splines in the order of 1 + 2 + 3 OR 3 + 2 + 1.
• The knot (vertex) order of the splines is important. The splines should be drawn so that their starting points line up with each other, as well as their end points. This is because areas are generated between splines based on their knot order. A spline that is already made in the wrong order can be reversed in the Spline sub-object of the Spline modifier panel.
• Even internal knots should generally line up.
• Each spline should have the same number of knots.

To get a better feel of how it works, I suggest starting with simple spline setups and turning off Interpolation. This way it will work faster and you can immediately see how the knots line up. Start with Interpolation Off and make a couple terrains with 2 or 3 splines with only a few knots.

When making terrains with CorVex, I suggest you get all the UVs aligned as you want before you generate Displacements. Also, you can apply a Vertex Paint modifier affecting the vertex alpha before you generate displacements to get general alpha painting on your displacements at creation time. This is because it is easier to modify the UVs on the CorVex object than the displacements, and because when you apply the vertex paint you can get a better idea of the displacement texture blending before they are made.

Here is a video of Terrain generated with the CorVex Utility Floater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r38elrL1DGI

PS. Just a note related to displacements: In the next release of WW, Sculpt Mesh commits will be very fast compared to the current commits. In a test scene with a sculpt mesh derived from 1800 displacements that the currently public WW commits in 10 minutes, the commit now happens in 30 seconds. Expect a release soon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk