Just Some Chatter on WW

Started by wallworm, February 04, 2015, 04:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

I wanted to take a moment to thank the users and my friends/coworkers. I've been very lucky to have added Orvid King to the WW development team back in November. We've essentially worked non-stop since then on a barrage of backend updates to WW. The big push has been to release Wall Worm Pro. But all along, we've been tackling ancient code and optimizing a large percentage of the features in the entire tool set.

As a result, each new update has brought its own potential for having broke something. That's happened a lot over the last few months. But we're near the end of the tunnel. I want to say thank you for the patience of the WW users who take the time to share feedback. Even when it is just to share a bug report, it is of great value and helps us get to the end faster.

I hope that you bear with us as we are in the home stretch of this new era in Wall Worm. All of this work has paid off with a ton of faster functions and new features (in both WW and in WW Pro). I think that you'll be happy and as excited as I am with some of the new features. Many are already integrated into WW but are not well documented (like did you know that you can now go old-school and build a level for Hl1/CS1.6 or export models now for Goldsrc? Yeah, it's a decade late, but what the hell! Or did you know that you can import your VMF (or .MAP) file from Source into Max now with all of the geometry ready to re-export--yeah, we found out why many brushes were coming in badly (turns out I was using Regular Expressions too irregularly....) And did you know that you can import a player character with all the animations, skins, facial morphs, hitboxes, attachments and bodygroups via the QC importer now? The list just goes on.

The point is that I'm excited to share with you all these growing features. I hope you get as much enjoyment using them as I do. Also, I hope that you have patience when something is broken, and take the time to report it here. Otherwise, it might go unfixed longer than necessary. At this point, fully testing any update can take hours or days because of the wide array of setups (Windows 7/8? Max 2012? 32bit or 64bit? 2013-2015? and now WW or WW Pro?). The majority of my own focus has been on WW Pro on Max 2015. That is why several features have been broken in WW without me noticing--the addition of WW Pro code into the program have created conditions that require a little more care and time in testing--but my time and resources are not infinite. But I'm spending more time going through all the tools as far back as Max 2012 and trying to make sure it works bug-free.

I hope you enjoy all these tools and appreciate all the time and effort that continues to go into them. Please share your screen shots here! And start working on the new WW Mapping Contest: Amzing Desert.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk