VTF Exporter Problems :(

Started by Ady, February 14, 2015, 09:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ady

Hello  :)

I seem to be having a few problems with the VTF Exporter in WWMT and cannot for the life of me seem to sort it out. I am using Wallworm version 2.522 which i think is the latest, on windows 7 ultimate with an Nvidia gtx 560 with latest drivers. I am exporting models for L4D2.

Problems I have  :(

1 - the tga files being exported into the materialsrc folder are being named with an extra .tga extension so look like this - examplepic.tga.tga

2 - the bat files that are generated on export with the tga's are being placed in their own separate folders outside of the intended folder even if i do click the button that sets the models material path in the exporter.

3 - I have two different error messages that appear in a DOS window when I try running the bat files.
these are either that the target file is not recognised as a valid tga or psd file or that the exporter cannot find the specified file.

I hope I have explained things clearly enough for you, if not, just ask and I will do my best to help out.

wallworm

I am sorry you experienced this. It was a bug that affected a few versions when WW Pro isn't installed. We are rebuilding the materials backend, and during a range of updates targeting WW Pro I inadvertently broke the general VTF exporter.

You should update WW. The version you have is several updates old now, and this bug was fixed. The latest version is 2.552 which at first glance might look like the version # you have, but it's not. Make sure to update WW. The easiest way to know that you have the latest version is to click Wall Worm > Wall Worm  Utilities > Check for Updates .

Ady

Thanks for the reply and have done what you asked, and the update utility says I have the correct version. Problem still remains. To do a complete fresh install of WW, is it just the wallworm folder in the scripts folder i have to delete or is there something else I need to bin to as each version remembers my settings.

Thanks in advance,

Ady

wallworm

The installation is sometimes different for different people. After opening WW, you can type this in the MAXScript listener (F11) and hit Enter:

wallworm_installation_path

It will tell you where WW is currently installed and where you should copy over the version you have.

I'll look into the exporter again this afternoon while doing some other material enhancements. I'm sorry that you are experiencing this.

Ady

It seems everything is already in the right place so i will delete the wallworm folder and replace it with a version I will download directly from your site. I will let you know if anything changes>

I will take some screenies from the error massages if it persists.

Ady

OK. I have finally found a way to export a model with its textures ... YAY !!

When in the material editor, I have to rename the imported bitmap to   custom_props/*whatever model name is*   , instead of just a name like     metal_frame

I then have to go to the materialsrc folder and delete the first .tga in the materials name. This is because the tgas are double tagged.

eg - wall.tga   becomes wall.tga.tga   so I have to delete the text in bold

Running the bat file seems to then work like a charm.

I hope you understand what I am babbling about and if it is a small bug, that it may help you track it down.

Ady

wallworm

Yes, I understand what is happening and will release a fix later today.

wallworm

While investigating this, I did find some issues that could occur--but generally those were only possible if you are using WW Pro. I updated WW to address those issues.

If possible, please send me your file. Click File > Save As ... > Archive and send the zip file to my email found in the WW readme. I'll see if I can replicate it or discover the cause.

Ady

Ok, thank you for your quick replies and possible fix. Will send you the files and zipped folders before i repair them so as you can have a butchers.

Thank you for all your hard work you put into these amazing tools  :)

Ady

Ady

Whatever you did in the update seems to have worked. The first model I tried exported, with textures, perfectly. You are a true gentleman and I thank you. Maybe I will post some of my models on here when I feel a bit more confident  :)

Thanks again,

Ady

wallworm

I'm glad that it worked. I have a feeling the error resulted from material and textures that were given the WW Material/texture Custom Attributes from the bad updates. If you have a scene with materials that was made before this update and continues to export poorly, the fix is probably to make new materials for the model and re-load the textures into the new material. I have a feeling that you'll not notice it in new scenes/models.

If enough people have scenes that are "bad" because of this, I'll write a function to update the materials instead of having to make new materials.

And I am always glad to see people share their projects!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk