Cant export vtfs

Started by Vicky123, March 02, 2015, 08:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vicky123

Now, I have made sure i set up my paths and root folders correctly and read all the documentation so now i am resorting to posting.

I am modelling for cs go. I used a standard material on my model, gave the diffuse colour a bitmap tga, gave the object a uvwmap modifier, the channel is one, and cant be changed. models export and compile perfectly but when i go to export vtfs, it is going all fishy.

i have all the right settings and ive tried a complete recompile.

i tick all the boxes and it exports a copy of the (256x256) tga file to sdkcontent\materialssrc\myproject. Instead of creating a .bat and .txt file alongside the copy of the .tga, it creates a new folder called Map_0 next to myproject, and puts them in there. Even if I specify a different folder in the export vtf window that pops up just before you click export, it still creates this folder. I tried changing the map to one in the rollout but it didn't make a difference.

As for the actual materials, it creates a .vmt in csgo\materials\myproject. The vmt reads vertex lit generic and then specifies the base texture as the name of the .vtf that should have been exported to the same location, but it is nowhere to be found. It pops up saying textures have been exported but I have done an entire search of my hard drive for the correct .vtf and it is just not there, please help

It didnt stop working, it has never worked for me, I did a lot of messing around with the folder paths to try and get it working, in the process I think I have messed it up more, because I seem to remember in the last few days seeing a .pwl or something and maybe a .vtf somewhere, but when I search for these now I cannot find them.

I am really sorry if the answer is really obvious but I am a beginner and a bit of a silly one.

wallworm

That doesn't sound good :)

OK, I guess the first thing now is to ask which version of WW are you using and what version of Max.

There was a bug in the VTF exporter in a recent version of WW, so it is possible this caused it. Can you verify that you have the very latest version of WW?

Is there any error that pops up? Does the Command Prompt pop up with any helpful messages?

Vicky123

Thanks for such a fast reply! i am using max 2013 and yes I am using the latest version of wwm tools because i only downloaded it from the ww website about three days ago. No errors pop up infact it says it was succesful. I looked in the command prompt but everything just seems normal although i dont really know what i am looking for.

the vmt that is exported to csgo/materials/myproject reads

"VertexLitGeneric"
{

$basetexture "Map _0/testgoldglass"

}

the folder Map_0 in sdkcontent/materalssrc seems to get automatically generated no matter how many times i delete it and set the folder path to something else. the .bat and .txt appear in there.

but the folder Map_0 in csgo/materials, which I assume is where the vmt is pointing to, is not generated, and I have tried creating it myself, but it remains empty.

wallworm

There was actually several updates to WW in the last few days, and a couple of them actually were dealing with the VTF output paths because the path functions were inadvertently broken in an update a week back :) So I would download the latest version, restart Max and see if everything magically works after that. If not, I will help figure it out.

Vicky123

ok i have downloaded it again to make sure, i think it might be different from my last one, but now it wont let me install the script, sorry if this is stupid, i don't know how to remove or uninstall the old one. i deleted the previous wallworm.com folder from the scripts foler, put the new one there, and went to run the new install.ms but it comes up with this error

http://i.imgur.com/IrjC5nk.jpg

wallworm

Hmmm... I'm sorry about that.

Add me to Skype and I will try to help figure it out via screen share. My Skype  is wallworm .

wallworm

So for future reference to those who may experience an issue:

WW is in a transition phase because of the development of WW Pro. One of the new features in WW Pro is more tools for controlling VTF output data. Those controls only work properly if WW Pro is installed... but there can be times when the VTF parameters can exist even if WW Pro is not installed. So here is how you fix it:

Open your material editor and open the bitmap in the Material Editor window. See if there is a rollout labeled Wall Worm Texture Properties . If so, then you need to create a new bitmap to use for this texture. Just copy the bitmap node and re-apply the bitmap to your material.

Or you can get WW Pro, which utilizes those functions. The issue above was that WW Pro has explicit output paths rather combining the bitmap node name + the bitmap filename. Normally, you shouldn't have this problem, as this attribute shouldn't get created if you don't have WW Pro... but obviously there are still some kinks to be ironed out :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk