Why are my models significantly larger in-game?

Started by dshep, March 19, 2015, 11:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dshep

Maybe I'm completely brain-dead today, but I can't find your email address.

wallworm

The ww download zip file has a readme with my email address.

wallworm

OK, so I see the problem. All the brushes are composed of invalid geometry.

1) The geometry won't export if the number of polygons is greater than the Brush Max Sides setting in the VMF Exporter. Each of those brushes was composed of Box nodes with high length/width/height segments--which put the face count above what is allowed per brush. (Concave brushes will apply this limit to each element rather than per Object... but these are not tagged as concave and each object is just one element anyway).

2) Even if you increase the max sides allowed per brush, these are composed of multiple co-planar polygons as explained above--which creates duplicate plane errors.

The solution for your scene:

1) Open MAXScript listener (F11).

Type:
select $box*
Hit Enter
Type:
$.heightsegs = $.lengthsegs = $.widthsegs = 1
Hit Enter

dshep

Ah, I see. I didn't even notice that I had that many segments on the brush geometry. I suppose that might be left over from the other project being that I normally don't have that many segments. I would have never figured this one out lol. I'm interested in buying Wall Worm pro, but I'm not sure if a beginner like myself would benefit from it. I started using this plugin off and on over a year ago as I found Hammer to be crumby. I've been using Max for years, so I looked up a plugin that might be able to get it over to Source, and found your plugin. Thanks for all of the support!

wallworm

Yeah, I need to make an FAQ on brushes that offers my checklist to troubleshoot problems.

In terms of WW Pro, I personally hope that all WW users buy it :) But in terms of what you would benefit, the primary benefits are faster VMF Exporter, faster SMD exporter, DMX exporter, wrinklemap exporter in DMX and VTF importer. There will be some other added functions coming soon too. Because WW Pro is still in Alpha, those who buy it early also get a copy of CorVex--which is one of my favorite tools. That offer will be coming to an end soon, though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk