Wall-Worm Importing .VTA Failure

Started by Pixel-Perry, February 26, 2016, 11:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pixel-Perry

Hello everyone!

I just recently started using 3DS-Max and with it, Wall-worm. Skipping all the useless details I plan to bring in Source Assets (Models, Props, Etc.) and animate them in 3DS. The current problem I am having, however, is that whenever i import a model; the flexes and morphs don't seem to carry over. And a lot of source models (Specifically models used in Source Filmmaker) use flexes for facial animations and some even have body morph properties. As I said, I just started using 3ds and am new to its complexity as to that of SFM. To my knowledge (as told by a friend) if the flexes/morphers had been carried over they'd be shown if I clicked on the base mesh and selected the modify tab under "Morphers." I will give more detail as needed in later replies (Don't wanna end up typing everything out and no one responds XD). Thank you for your time!

Joris Ceoen

Hey!

It's great to see more and more people using Wall Worm, which is why I want to thank you before going into my post. Welcome to the pack!

For your issue(s), I can't bring in too much experience on the field of morphing, but you should remember that although Wall Worm does import quite an extensive number of features for modeling, the process of decompiling and reimporting will likely always result in some kind of anomalies that can't always be prevented (but probably fixed, yes).

Only Shawn can bring you forward from here I'm afraid  :) He should be coming back soon.

Pixel-Perry

Thanks for the reply Joris! I am almost confident that the problem lies on my end because aside from some 3-D animating I am completely new to everything. I look forward to hearing from Shawn.

wallworm

What version of Max are you running?

When you import the QC, does the Morpher modifier exist with channels? There are some tips in the Considerations section of the QC Importer docs.

Zip up your QC/SMDs/VTAs that you are trying to import and I will see if they fail for me too. My email is in the WW readme file.

Pixel-Perry

Sorry for the late response!

I am using Max 2015

I've been working with various models some with expandable body feautures and what not. However, I can cope with not having those, but a lot of the models use facial flexes and I really need them working, ya know? Here is the Midna model we got from the work shop. When we load the .Qc file (Again, I'm still new to this but I'll assume by channels you mean the names of the sliders 3ds Max supplies you with) things show up with the tags that'd be in SFM like "Jaw Down" and so on. But for  alot of the other models, upon importing the .Qc..nothing even happens, nothing. And if I click the base mesh and import the .VTA file two things either happen: The model explodes (quite literally) or Max makes one frame for every single slider and even then they don't behave properly

Midna: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rx9mc3oe78pizn5/Midna.zip?dl=0

wallworm

OK, so I downloaded the file and tried to run the import and it was not successful. As you mentioned, the morphs are messed up. I'm not sure exactly what caused this. I ran the importer on some other test models I have with flex data and it works as expected. So my current working assumption is a problem with the VTA file or the SMDs. For the VTA file to work, the vertex order must match 100% with the reference SMD. It seems that's not the case here.

It is possible that something in the way the QC is written confuses and throws off the importer. I'll investigate more when I get some time.

Pixel-Perry

wallworm

One more thing to consider is decompiling the model again with the newer version of Crowbar. I see the files say : // Created by Crowbar 0.24.0.0

The newer versions of Crowbar work better with WW tools. I can't say that it will fix this specific problem, but it's worth a try.

Pixel-Perry

I see! I'll give it a try. Fingers crossed

Pixel-Perry

I forgot to post about it but for anyone that was curious: It didn't work.

wallworm

That's unfortunate. This attempt was the first time I'd imported a QC with flex files whose source was decompiled (at least to my knowledge). For the most part I mainly test the tools on original files (non-decompiled). So far, imports to original QC/SMD/VTA files has worked for the assets I've had to import. That doesn't mean there isn't something wrong in WW, but it means that I'm not inclined to spend much time on the problem unless it turns into a problem with original assets.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk