Displacement distorted texture

Started by Cerberus, May 20, 2015, 07:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerberus

Hey! Me again!

I'm follwing the "Wall Worm Displacements 2013" tutorial, but after creating the displacement the textures are all distorted ( right) :

I thought I alleviated the problem by clicking on Planar mapping and setting it to "Box" ( left ) but I read after that I should "never change the mapping type to anything other than Planar!"
I've looked and found nothing about this problem.

What to do ?

wallworm

One thing that may have changed since that video is that Polys to Displacements now collects the UVS from the underlying objects. So you should have good UVs on the objects before running that function.

In terms of adding UVW modifiers... you have to remember that each displacement can only be mapped in a planar fashion in source. Yu can use other settings in UVW Map but will only get the results you expect if you understand that. The UVW modifier should only be applied BEFORE any sculpting... and then you should collapse it to an editable poly before sculpting... otherwise it may not show you correct mapping.

Also, never apply UVW modifiers to sculpt meshes. Only to displacements before you make the sculpt mesh.

Hopefully this helps. If not, I'll discuss it more after I release the next video.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk