bodygroup is rotated 90 degrees to the right, which is not the case in the .3ds

Started by cynaraos, May 23, 2015, 05:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cynaraos

I have been trying to get a bodygroup to work properly in Source, using 3DS Max and WWMT. so far, I've been able to technically make the bodygroup work as intended, but, as the subject describes, the bodygroup in question is rotated 90 degrees to the right. it seems that something similar to the pivot for the mesh being moved back, with the rotation happening after that, is what happens, when the model is compiled.

screenshot that shows both the HLMV perspective and 3DS Max perspective: http://i.imgur.com/lWzYWqB.png
.3ds file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46555596/save03.max

wallworm

Have a bunch of visitors tonight so can't look. But wanted share tidbit.

For using bodygroups and non-staticprop:

1) Never use Local Origina s $origin
2) Never use Rotate Origin

For bodygroups, make sure the bodygroup nodes are either linked as children of the bone that controls them (easiest) or skin it to the bones it needs to be skinned to.

The Bodygroup Floater lets you assign WWMT Helpers to bodygroups en mass... and when assigned that way the BG Helper has a button to send parent WWMT bones to bodygroup WWMT helpers to make the process easier.

Hopefully that helps. If not, I'll look at your file tomorrow.

cynaraos

after attempting to follow your instructions regarding the bodygroup floater, I began compiling the model. when WWMT was doing that, I did not get any command prompts like regularly, but a script error message, around 10 seconds after pressing "Export QC+Model".
after this happens, any action I do with WWMT produces an error sound.
screenshot showing the window and prompt that popped up: http://i.imgur.com/xmB6UA4.png

wallworm

Can you send me your file? It will help me deduce the steps to get to that error. I cannot understand how that error is possible, so seeing the file will help.

wallworm

Following up: I could not reproduce your error specifically, but during testing I found some other bugs. So I addressed those and some UI/workflow items that have been on my TODO list for the last few months for Bodygroups. You can get those fixes with the version of WW I just loaded. I presume that if you update WW then use the Update Bodygroups button in the Bodygroup CA, your error should go away. If not, delete your bodygroup helper and create new ones with the newer code.

Let me know how this works.

wallworm

Ahh. When I first read your post it was on my phone and I missed that.

Anyway, here is how to get it to align correct in your scene.

1) Make sure you have WW 2.593+ (because it made the process for the BG helpers easier).
2) Select and Link your sight mesh to the gun mesh. (Making the gun the parent of the Sight mesh).
3) Open the Bodygroup menu and click UPdate BG Definitions.
4) Select your bodygroup helper (green dummy), open the modify tab and click the Send Parent Bones to All Button.
5) Open the StandardRifle WWMT Helper in WWMT and re-export it.

Now your model will export.

The main reason that bodygroups are not aligned correctly is because they must have the same bone or skin setup as their parent model or be skinned to a bone correctly. In this case, the bodygroup node needs to be a child of the gun node.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk