space_marble_unlimited by WW user Joris wins GB Contest

Started by wallworm, May 25, 2015, 10:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

Joris isn't a stranger to winning or coming in high for GameBanana contests. He just won a new one with Space Marble Unlimited in the regular GameBanana Marble Tracks Contest.

View/download  space_marble_unlimited.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ombVm41yMfA

For those who don't know, the level was built entirely inside 3ds Max. Woot! Great Job Joris!

vicxvr

This is cool. I wish I didn't have a steep learning curve ahead of me (learning MAX from nothing) but it is encouraging to see what lies ahead if I stick with it.

Joris Ceoen

Quote from: vicxvr on May 25, 2015, 02:33:19 PM
This is cool. I wish I didn't have a steep learning curve ahead of me (learning MAX from nothing) but it is encouraging to see what lies ahead if I stick with it.
Well, when I tried to do cathedral the first time I already had about 1 year and a half experience with 3DS Max, but I guarantee you that most of Max I learned during the level designing process (including modelling, texturing, unwrapping etc).

It takes some effort and insight on how to approach Level Design with the brush limits in mind, but the way you can create them or for instance manipulate displacements, or create your models alongside the production of your brush assets is just amazing. It allow complete freedom, and even though this map doesn't show many of what WW can do in regular maps (like DE or CS) there are some mindblowing things like the 3D skybox being on scale with your level, the plugins that allow for very fast brush creation (where you can go back and forward in what you want to achieve) and simply the visual layer management and snapping tools from 3DS Max that aid you in the placement of things.

All-in-all, I highly recommend you try it out, see the advantages for yourself and try something basic or advanced (depending on your skill in Level Designing) with WW in 3DS Max, and you'll start to stick to it before you'll even know it  ;)

the6thmonkey

Looks awesome, how much of the geometry is made up of models, brushes and displacements? :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk