Sequence trouble.

Started by DillonBarba, June 02, 2015, 06:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DillonBarba

ill give that a shot tonight, could be simpler in the end anyway haha

wallworm

Quote from: DillonBarba on June 16, 2015, 12:36:46 AM
i kind of found a hacky work around, i modeled the wall and attached it to my props.
so now its seamless lol.
Looks great. I wouldn't necessarily call it a hacky work around... as something isn't necessarily a hack if it solves your problem.
Quote from: Joris Ceoen on June 16, 2015, 07:38:40 AM
Actually I would have done it the other way round. Those models can easily be made into brushes, with the textures corresponding to the geometry. They are far from being complicated, to which it would have been better to brush them out. Models should only be used if, and only if something is incapable to be handled by brushes only.
Although I might have used brushes in this example, I'd be wary of saying that models should only be used where brushes don't work. There are many things that can be a brush but you might want as a model instead. Even with things like a crate... each brush increases the file size whereas a model is just a fixed file size where it's geometry is "spawned" as each location. As a comparison, you can make a scene with a single box model that has 1000 proxies (prop_static instances) vs the same scene except the boxes are 1000 brushes. So you have to take things like that into consideration if you have to worry about file size, among other things.

Joris Ceoen

Quote from: wallworm on June 16, 2015, 05:23:30 PMAlthough I might have used brushes in this example, I'd be wary of saying that models should only be used where brushes don't work. There are many things that can be a brush but you might want as a model instead. Even with things like a crate... each brush increases the file size whereas a model is just a fixed file size where it's geometry is "spawned" as each location. As a comparison, you can make a scene with a single box model that has 1000 proxies (prop_static instances) vs the same scene except the boxes are 1000 brushes. So you have to take things like that into consideration if you have to worry about file size, among other things.
That's a very valid point which I haven't thought about yet. My bad! Thanks for bringing this in :)

DillonBarba

i made them into a brush it looks okay i just dont want to waste anymore time on it,
ive started working on the dining room downstairs,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LhGstqiQ5Y

wallworm

Excellent. You'll need to start a thread in here on how you go about making your assets, etc. I'm sure many users would have fun reading.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk