Sequence trouble.

Started by DillonBarba, June 02, 2015, 06:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DillonBarba

Hey guys, I have this problem with this model im trying to animate.
i have the sequence all prepped and ready in 3dsmax and i have the parameters set appropriately the frames are set from the 0-25 frames and my qc looks fine.
// QC File generated by the Wall Worm Model Tools Version 2.588
// Get the latest version and notes at:
// http://dev.wallworm.com

$scale 1.0
$modelname "Bobs_Burgers/props/bb_bobsstoredoor.mdl"
$body bb_bobsstoredoor "bb_bobsstoredoor.smd"
$contents "solid"
$cdmaterials "Bobs_Burgers/props"
$sequence idle "bb_bobsstoredoor"  activity ACT_IDLE -1.0 loop fps 30
$sequence Wiggle "bb_bobsstoredoor_sequence_Wiggle" fps 30.0 fadein 0.2 fadeout 0.2

$include "bb_bobsstoredoor_wwmt_custom.qci"

the sequence shows up in hammer but it doesn't move.
any ideas? also bonus question i have a bell above a door and i want it to wiggle when shot.
anyone know how to solve this one?

wallworm

The sequence default is the first (idle) sequence. You'll need to make the prop default animation to the sequence you want it to use, or set up some trigger I/O that changes the sequence.

For the bell, you can look into using jiggle bones, or use a physics prop. You can also make a new sequence for that animation that is triggered when shot.

Hopefully that helps.

And welcome back... haven't seen you on here in a while :)

DillonBarba

I set a trigger to change the animation, but even in hlmv it's not showing the desired animation see i have idle and "Jiggle"

wallworm

Send the Max file to me and I'll test it. I was just getting ready to turn things off for the night, but if you get it to me in the next couple minutes I'll check it out tonight. Otherwise, I'll look at it tomorrow.

wallworm

I guess one thing: to see the animation, you need to not only select the jiggle, but also to change the radio option to the row you selected. Then HLMV will play the animation.

DillonBarba

figured it out, I was trying to animate without a bones system; i was moving verts per keyframe instead, like a lazy person lol
after i set up bones and a simple IK solver it worked like a charm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K1UeHYJf5U

and if anyone is wondering how i got the bell sound to work,

wallworm

Excellent! This should be helpful for some users. So I'm going to move this to the Using WW board and Sticky the topic.

Now one of these days we'll get you to experiment doing the entities inside Max :)

wallworm

Since it wasn't shared here, I'm sharing what Dillon sent me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnlaZtw8NWQ

Joris Ceoen

No way, is all of this made in WW?

DillonBarba

yes, of course!
I've also run into a continuity problem when im trying to flow brush and model seamlessly.

as you can see in the attachment the model texture and the brush texture have the same color but different shadows are being casted onto them, does anyone know of a trick to make this more seamless?

wallworm

Here are some of the things you can do to get the best lighting in these scenarios:

• RAD Compile parameters:  -StaticPropLighting  -TextureShadows  -StaticPropPolys
  • Export model with explicit normal and make sure the normal on the border/edge align with the normal of the brush faces using Edit Normals modifier
  • Set an info lighting for the prop that in a place close to where you want to sample light

Hopefully these tips help.

DillonBarba

im not exactly sure how to use info_lighting but i did put in those parameters i also changed the normals of the model to face outwards like the wall but to no avail.

wallworm

You may want to move the info_lighting out towards the middle of the room some.

But in the end, it is often not feasible to get the same lighting from a brush/model, unfortunately--unless there are some secrets I'm unaware of.

If it cannot work, I'd suggest breaking it into convex chunks and turning it into a func_detail. You can then use the same texture you already have but change the shader to LightmappedGeneric, which will then match the other parts.

DillonBarba

i kind of found a hacky work around, i modeled the wall and attached it to my props.
so now its seamless lol.

Joris Ceoen

Actually I would have done it the other way round. Those models can easily be made into brushes, with the textures corresponding to the geometry. They are far from being complicated, to which it would have been better to brush them out. Models should only be used if, and only if something is incapable to be handled by brushes only.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk