Snap vertices to grid//round off vertex coordinates

Started by Itszutak, June 12, 2015, 12:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

I've sent you a PM.

First, make sure you download the latest ShellVex. It was updated yesterday and should say Version 1.21 in the About rollout.

In this version, there are some new features as well as bug fixes, one of which was a critical bug the caused a problem when re-opening a scene that already had a ShellVex node.

Why the object is offset is a total mystery to me. I've not seen that happen. Can you click File > Save As ... Archive and email the zip file to me? The only thing I can think of is that the XForm of the geometry is incorrect. You can try selecting the source geometry and clicking Utilities > Reset XForm and then click Reset Selected.

In the latest version there is a Sew Outer Verts that will sew the vertices (and create the Shell-like affect ). There is also a Snap Verts to Grid inside ShellVex itself.

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that MAX_MAP_PLANES might not be affected by sides that have materials like nodraw. If so, the need for the sew can be skipped for those sides simply have a nodraw material. That's something that would need testing.

At this point, here's the best results I've gotten for terrain using ShellVex:

Once you have added the source Geometry, click the Clean Geometry button in the utilities tab. It will apply a Turn To Poly modifier (as well as a snapVertsToGrid modifier if installed) onto the Source.

Now in ShellVex, turn on Force Convex Polygons and then turn on the Auto Edge and set it to a value of 1.0 or 2.0 . If you have Edge Faces on in Max (F4) you can see how changes to the Auto Edge threshold affects the polygons on the ShellVex geo (note that the more faces in the source geo, the slower all the calculations are). If it is true that nodraw sides are ignored for the MAX_MAP_PLANES, then simply turn on the cap side and the sides to material id 2 in the materials rollout and update the ShellVex material to a multi/sub-object material with tools/toolsnodraw in ID 2; otherwise, you can use the sew command and/or Snap Verts.

Itszutak

(PM appears not to be showing up unless I don't know how this forum works)

How do I apply the Clean Geometry button? Once I select my target geometry it generates a shape and all the options disappear.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk