Overlays imported wrong & Skybox reconstrucion

Started by SairesArt, June 30, 2015, 06:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SairesArt

Hey,
when importing a VMT, almost everything is fine and cookies.
The Overlays however, come incredibly out of scale (ca. five times larger) and all horizontal and with wrong rotation.
My units are set up correctly and everything else seems to work just fine, but the overlays just go wild.

It's a 2006 Engine Game, any help?

Also I'd like to reconstruct the Skybox from it's 1/16 scale miniature to it's rescaled "original".
I just can't seem to get it to work, exept painful reallignment and rescaling of each entity to the original map gemotry. Just placing the sky_camera at the origin and scaling *16 always results in a wrong scale and placement. Is there a way to reproduce it consitently?

Couldnt find any info on both topics, either in search or documentation.

wallworm

Welcome to WW :)

I'll have a look at the VMF Importer and see about fixing the overlay issue. The scale is likely a result of the fact that the VMT>Material importer ignores the basetexturetransform at this time, and the initial scale is always based off of the physical dimension of the bitmap rather than any VMT transformations. The orientation is another issue, and I'll have a look.

Regarding rescaling the tiny skybox to true scale, that is nothing I've ever done. But here are some steps I'd try:

1) Group the entire 3D Sky with the Group command (Except the sky_camera... leave it out of the group).
2) With the group selected, open the Hierarchy Tab.
3) Click Affect Pivot Only.
4) Align the Group Pivot to the Sky Camera pivot.
5) Exit Affect Pivot Only mode.
6) Move the Group to the Origin.
7) Open the Utilities Tab
8) Add Rescale World Units to the Utilities if it is not present (with the More... button)
9) Click the Rescale... button
10) In the Scale Factor, enter 16.
11) For the Affect, chose Selection.
12) Click OK
13) Ungroup the Group
14) Add to a new layer to keep separate.
15) With sky objects selected, click Wall Worm > Wall Worm Level Design > Set Selection as Skybox Item

Now when you re-export, the skybox should still rescale to 1/16 around wherever the sky camera is (so keep the sky camera out in the middle of no-mans-land).

SairesArt

Wow, many thx, your skybox reconstruction instruction worked perfectly.

And thx, that you take the time to look at overlays^^
Have a level where there are around 40 or so in one room for extra detail, after import it all becomes a flickering mess of 40 roomzized floating color carpets.

SairesArt

Quote from: wallworm on June 30, 2015, 08:04:43 PMThe orientation is another issue, and I'll have a look.
I'd like to add, that decals don't ever import either.

Also big map imports always fail. Even after 300 tries over 24h of retries.
I split the map up into skybox, brushes, props and overlays/decals. Import times are still big, but it at least manages to import.

The thing with the overlays is really a hassle though, any idea when you can update WW to fix overlays (and mebee decals <3 )?

wallworm

I'll try to give it some attention this week. It will help if you send me a ZIP file of your VMF and any VMT/VTF that go with it.

SairesArt

Quote from: wallworm on July 06, 2015, 02:59:00 PM
I'll try to give it some attention this week. It will help if you send me a ZIP file of your VMF and any VMT/VTF that go with it.
Since you are monitoring this thread, I'll give you a quick comment on the bugs of "Validate geometry", since I'm too lazy to type: an infographic as an attachment below.
That bug made be import the map with BOTH options and then import the broken geo from the without Validate geometry to the one with validate geometry. Not a big deal, just so you know.

Here are the not-decompiled Textures and Models (Neotokyo°+SourceBase2006) as an Ultra Compressed 7z (1gb)
decompiled would be 12+gb
And the Mapfiles with their divided counterparts

I do rerenderings of maps in an offline renderer and preparing/restructuring/remodeling them as scenes for an animated short.
What I usually do is: Delete all lights (since I retexture and rematerial the lights to be physically based) and all brushes, that are purely skybox or clips/hints/blocklight
Delete all env_, logic_, ambient_ and so on... everything that is not visible, including sprites.
Pray to the gods, it will import. If not, devide up into: (Skybox, Brushes, Props, Overlays) Which works. Sometimes (after building Prop library) I even have to devide up the prop import, since too many props still dont import after 200 retries)

Attached below what I do with the maps from earlier tests (manually placed overlays, props, reimported textures, since your importer didnt work so well earlier this year)
Also Animation test

wallworm

I'm downloading the files. It's likely I won't get a chance to look at it until tomorrow. Hopefully I can find why your files are choking. At this point, all my imports work fine within a few minutes... so perhaps there is some special case I need to unearth. I'll figure it out.

wallworm

An update. Two things.

1) I've discovered the bugs in the VMF Importer. One related to the displacements not having some properties that are in newer VMF files related to displacements. The second related to a typo in the VMF importer code--not sure how it got in there but must have crept in during some phase where I got distracted on some other chore and inadvertently left the code in.

I will push the fix for this sometime tomorrow.

2) Regarding decals and overlays:

The fix for these is not going to be as quick. While going through my code, I found this comment:

QuoteAs it turns out... infodecal does not have a list of sides. This poses a problem--because there is no fast way to determine what brush face to align to.
--!TODO Finish the Decal Plugin you've been thinking about for the last few years

I have some ideas on addressing this, but it's not likely to be addressed in the update coming tomorrow.

wallworm

I have updated WW today. It does two things: 1, your level will now import now without the errors (the raw level). On my system, it took about 15 minutes to fully import.

I also updated infodecal and info_overlay entities to mostly orient correctly. There is still not a guarantee on orientation because infodecal must guess which brush to align to--and info overlays just align to the first side in the sidelist.

wallworm

SairesArt

Now its all kinds of messed up.
Import works now solid, was plesantly surprised to see 4 as the default for Parse retries now :]
Wanted to make a post about the unexpeted error thingy, but you figured it out.
Props and Overlay import however, is completly broken. The props rotation is screwed and overlay postition is just somewhere in the skies.
This is with the new dev build.

I also had a new problem: When importing with my Old Props library, it would parse, but never finish importing. Had it running for 6 hours. only after deleting props library, did it work, tried it three times and verified it two times.

PS: Decals still dont import, but again, its not a big deal for me personaly

wallworm

Let me run a few tests. ALl the prop positions/orientations are correct in my tests the last couple of days.... but let me see if I can replicate the problem. And I've got all the overalys and decals coming in now. Overlays are working in my tests... and decals are generally correct. But I'll see if I can replicate.

Also, here is some new info on the Unknown System Exception error.

And I'll look at the prop importing. Do you mean that you cannot batch import if the props already exist?

SairesArt

What I do is
>import props from map
and then importing the map itself

wallworm

OK, I'm looking into it to see what could have changed how that was working for you.

wallworm

I've confirmed the bug with the rotations. Unfortunately it's late. I'll try to figure it out tomorrow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk