Light Orientation Bug

Started by jrocket, June 25, 2015, 09:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrocket

One other issue I've had is that the light rotation doesn't match between 3ds max and source. Even making a simple Free Direct light in max pointing down( rotation 0,0,0) comes out pointing sideways in the light_environment. The pitch is correct at -90, but the Pitch Yaw Roll(y,z,x) is (0,90,0). It should be (-90,90,0) to point straight down. I am using Source Multiplayer Base 2013.

wallworm

I've confirmed the bug: I'd hoped to have a fix today but it's probably going to take a little more time. It's actually a little more complex to fix than it seems because the lights in Source are essentially just using 2 components (Pitch and Yaw) but the lights are using XYZ components that are actually Inverted (negative Z) and do not use the same export logic as the other entity nodes.

The current fix is to always use a Target Spot and Free Spot for the lights (which will point at the target when compiled). Fixing this bug is my current priority, so expect a fix soon.

wallworm

You should now get the correct angles of your lights with the update to WW loaded this morning.

Just a note in case you are curious:

The VMF exporter will always output the Angles value with a # such as [0,90,0],  [0,-90,0], [0,-32,0] etc for lights. In other words, the light angle only sets the YAW value. The Pitch value is set in another property named pitch. I really don't know why they used a separate parameter for pitch... but because the angles pitch is ignored, the exporter always sets it to 0 for less confusion.

jrocket

Thanks! Looks like I got everything working now. Hopefully I can share some awesome maps soon.

wallworm

Awesome. I'm excited to see what you create. Each new person using the level design tools makes me happy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk