Why is WW crashing?

Started by auri45, July 05, 2015, 04:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

auri45

I'm trying to convert this model to a .smd file:
http://www.123dapp.com/creature/Pug/2522057

Whenever I attempt to export it as a .smd, WW and 3ds Max both crash. I'm using 3ds Max 2016, and I couldn't find any updates. I've also tried using 3ds Max 2014.

wallworm

My best guess is the resolution of that model. It's composed of 131,130 vertices and 262,256 polygons.

Max does choke up when exporting it... but it's still working. If you wait long enough it should finish (unless you run out of RAM).

Essentially, the resolution on this mesh is ridiculously high for a game engine--especially for this prop. If you are keen on using it, apply a MultRes modifier or a ProOptimizer modifier and bring the polycount down to a respectable level. This model can look fine with a few hundred tris--at most a couple thousand.

auri45

That fixed it! Thank you so much, this problem has been bugging me for days.

Joris Ceoen

I want to add to this that the highest resolution model Valve has ever attempted to let the current Source Engine run (Excluding CS:GO) is in Half-Life 2: Episode 2 the 'Chopper model', which consists of 37k polygons for a single model (not triangles, so the triangle count is higher). That is an exception among all of the models, and most models tend to be kept under 10K if possible, even in CS:GO. CS:GO however keeps the playermodels at a solid 14k-18k polygons.

The environment models are all under 10k as far as I'm concerned. Let the textures and normal map deal with the details if those need to be there, but for this model you can easily keep it down under 2K.

auri45

Could changing the number of polygons effect how the model looks in game?

Also, I managed to get the model in Gmod, but the texture is the purple and black checkered texture. I followed what the person in this thread did to solve the problem by putting the VMT / VTF directly into my cstrike directory, not the Gmod sub folder.

http://www.wallworm.net/index.php?topic=1190.0

I also tried putting it into the folder where the paths are set to. What can I do to fix this?

wallworm

I forgot to answer this.

I don't currently have Gmod installed. But the last time I did, all I had to do was set up WW to export to my game (CSS in that event) and Gmod seemed to detect it.

I know I've used videos/docs in past to go through the process but as Gmod is a little diffrerent, it's probably just easiest to use other mods and then use whatever process you might normally use to use those game assets in Gmod. Perhaps another Gmod user can speak up soon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk