l4d2 kitstarter.zip import format is broken

Started by pizzadox, July 28, 2015, 09:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pizzadox

hey
i have no clue why but when i try to import files from kitstarter.zip (from there you start making the skins) they wont open and when i try to open them its always says something about "wallworm maxscript rollout handler exception"

i remember like few months ago its was cool but when i updated wallworm to the newest version, one of the newest versions broke it i guess

wallworm

Ironically, this error is likely due to line endings. The readLine() method often fails if the file did not consistently have \r\n line endings. (Wall Worm, incidentally, only exported SMD files with \n instead of \r\n until I learned of the problems with this ... so files exported with older WW might have this problem, as well as any SMD that may have been created on a Mac or Linux).

You might want to test this out http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11341660/change-eol-on-multiple-files-in-one-go

In this case, change \n to \r\n ... although when I last tested personally, the results were inconsistent.

Try fixing a single SMD before attempting a large set of files.

I may look into making a sanitization function into WW to sanitize files, but the problem at the moment is that in order to get the string to sanitize I need to use things like ReadLine() which breaks in files with unexpected line endings... meaning I'd need to use a non-MAXScript solution which is less convenient for me.

pizzadox

eh the thing is, on l4d2 when you export files from kitstarter.zip the skin examples are not on .smd format, they are on .dmx format

so in my case its was the file models\weapons\melee\Compiling Files\dmx\v_crowbar_ref.dmx
and i found two /n in there and i replaced them with \r\n

:-\

maybe give me an older version of wallworm (from january-february) to try it out

wallworm

OK, I see. The importer never has supported DMX files. WW Pro has a DMX exporter, but WW/WW Pro do not yet support DMX imports.

pizzadox

Quote from: wallworm on July 28, 2015, 06:00:41 PM
OK, I see. The importer never has supported DMX files. WW Pro has a DMX exporter, but WW/WW Pro do not yet support DMX imports.

theres NO WAY few months i imported .dmx files with the free version
what a bummer

edit: sorry for the mind F#$@ its was my bad
i forgot how use the the files from kitstarter.zip

1/ i had to export my weapon from kitstarter.zip
2/ and then export my weapon from the .vpk files of the game
3/ decompile my .mdl weapon to .smd from step 2
4/ edit my .qc file from kitstarter.zip and edit the weapon body, collisionmodel.. to the world/view models of .smd from .dmx files

sorry i completely forgot it

wallworm

It's all good. DMX import is possible in the future. We'll see.

pizzadox

Quote from: wallworm on July 29, 2015, 10:59:10 AM
It's all good. DMX import is possible in the future. We'll see.

thanks for the help

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk