Help with exporting?

Started by Joeakuaku, August 02, 2015, 07:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeakuaku

I made a Maya model of my room, currently only consisting of simple geometry. I used the export to 3ds tool in maya, and installed Wall Worm. I marked everything as a brush with anvil, since everything would be a brush, then when I export, it seems to work fine. 7 kb file, but hammer says 2 solids were invalid and got removed, and then when it loads, nothing is in the map. I'm lost.

Joris Ceoen

My guess would be that, since you exported it to 3DS Max from Maya, it's very possible that all your blocks are part of one object, thus you would need to assign that object the concave tag (since the OBJECT is concave, not the seperate elements. WW needs to be told that the object consists of multiple convex elements, thus making it a concave object).

That, or you don't have any entity in the map, which sometimes causes problems. Make sure to have at least one spawn entity, one light_environment and perhaps a simple prop or something.

In any event, if you still cannot fix it, please share a copy of your VMF so we can investigate what might be wrong, though I'm 100% sure it's the first issue.

Joeakuaku

Umm... I'm kindof new to the scene, so if you could maybe help me do that stuff, since I don't know where most of that is... yeah. Also, I compared the created VMF to one of my side project VMFs, and the created one had a bunch of solids with a format matching the proper one. I'll pastebin the two VMFs:

http://pastebin.com/UuR94FQz That's the hammer-created VMF.
http://pastebin.com/i09Q07wP That's the WW-created VMF.

wallworm

Joris comments are all great advice, as always.

I think it would be easier to find the problem with the original Max scene, however, as those would show the geometry you intend to export. I think the most common problem for world geo is when the geometry has coplanar polygons, when the geo has non-convex polygons, or when the geo is simply not convex. The easiest way to fix the second is to use the Turn To Poly modifier and make sure you have the Require Planar option on and a planar threshold of around 2 (that # might need different values for different scenarios). To fix coplanar polygons, you need to manually edit it or use a tool like Carver which has a function for that.

Without the original scene, it's very hard to tell the actual cause. When opening the scene in Hammer, take note of the brush numbers. When you know the bad brushes, open Wall Worm > Wall Worm Level Design > Compile Tools > Get Brush By ID and enter the brush ids as a comma-separated list. The bad brushes will be selected. Then hit Isolate Selection (lightbulb at bottom of Max UI) and it will be easier to look at your brushes. Then hit F4 to show edges... now inspect the brushes for the issues above.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk