Compling error to many textures

Started by louie123456789, August 04, 2015, 05:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

louie123456789

When i open the materiel editor for the current model im working with their are 52 textures is their any way i can fix this with out affecting the textures or deleting them. When i use the materiel merger the materials are still at 52 textures. Not only that when i use the tool the it doesn't flatten all the textures. Is their any way i can flatten out texture to certain parts.

Joris Ceoen

I'm usually not one to instantly break down a specific workflow, but having 52 textures on a model for Source isn't a very good idea. You should make sure a model doesn't exceed more than, preferably, one texture. For bigger props you can definitly have more, like 2 or in rare cases 3. Only for character models you'll need like 4 or 5, but 52 is insane, for performance, memory and filesize. That is because there is always an extra cost involved each time a model uses more textures.

Can you show us what model you're talking about? It would help us determine if the model requires this amount of textures. There are ways to compress all of your textures into a single one file with multiple UV channels, or by manually combining all textures in one (which is a far more exhausting and outdated method).

louie123456789

I would like to convert certain body parts in to single images like the hair and face on one file like this. I want to convert yuya's face to something like ja-face.bmp . How ever i want yuya's eyes to be on a single image  like i have now.I also would like to convert his pants and shoes into a second file. I also want to convert yuya's upper body to be like ja-body.bmp.

wallworm

It looks like the body already has a single bitmap.

How many of the materials in the material editor are identical except for the name of the material (in other words, have the same diffuse bitmap, etc)? If there are a bunch of duplicates, you can simply condense it down.

Then you have a couple options.

1) Fastest: Delete all but one of those materials from the multimaterial and pipe the last one into all the others.

2) Cleaner but slower: Create a new multimaterial and adding only unique materials onto it. Then match the old material IDs in the mesh to the new material IDs of the new material.

To combine the materials into a single texture, you need to add a Poly Select in Polygon sub-selection to the faces you want to combine, add an Unwrap UVW  with a NEW map channel (so if the current channel is 1, use 2 or 3, etc). and then use Render to Texture on the model. Now use the Material Merger in WW to combine the rendered bitmaps into a single bitmap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMplDlxWGk8

louie123456789

I did what you told me to do but yuya failed. If i delete one materiel it affects the model.I flattened the map assigned flattened then yuya fails.

louie123456789

other images

wallworm

I cannot tell what is wrong simply based on the images. It looks like you have flattened everything. What is the problem?

However, I notice that you unwrapped and flattened back into channel 1 and used that channel for the RTT as well as Material Merger. Are you sure the original textures were not using Channel 1? I would Unwrap into a higher channel so that the original UVs are not lost.

louie123456789

could that be the problem the original textures are on channel one

wallworm

Having all the original textures in channel 1 is just fine. It's the fact that the new textures need to be in a different channel or you'll have problems (lose the mapping for the original textures).

But I still don't actually understand the specific problem you are facing at this moment. It's not obvious just from the images as to what the issue is here.

My best advice is to make a simple Box Primitive, convert it to an editable poly and assign a multimaterial to it... then put three different materials into the multimaterial and assign the six sides of a the bog Material IDs ranging from 1-3. Then export this into game. Play around with that setup until you understand how the materials work. Once you get a grasp on that, you can then move to Unwrapping this model into Channel 2 or 3, etc and using RTT to make a flattened material... then use Material Merger with that same new channel. Then re-export with the new flattened material (note the flattened material doesn't automatically get assigned to your object... you'll need to do that with the Assign Flattened button.)

I suggest doing this on a simpler model just so you can understand the way it all works together. Then it will be easier for you to tackle the character.

louie123456789

what your telling me is working for now thank you i have a simple question. How do i hide everything else and only focus what is in red.

wallworm

In Unwrap Editor:

CTRL+I (invert selection)
Right-Click selection and hit Hide Selected

louie123456789

thanks that helps if im doing a normal texture do i select Diffuse color?

louie123456789

something odd is happening when i hide the other parts this happens.The end result is so perfect. When i add the first texture this doesn't happen. When i do the second texture it happens

wallworm

I'm at an impasse explaining this unless I saw the Max file. My best guess is that only some parts of the model are unwrapped... and other parts have the default UVs that then overlap.

louie123456789

i will give you the max file how can i send it to you

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk