Found an intresting website for city layouts..

Started by Redskull, August 06, 2015, 02:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redskull

So theirs this website that allows you to copy satellite image of layouts of you're favorite cities and then export them as .osm files. What I found most interesting is that you can use that along with the .osm plugin for blender to create a layout of planes. I'm thinking it may be possible to take real life city layouts and turn them into a map. Theirs a bit of cleanup thought with the importing and exporting.

Here's the URL:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/54.6777/25.3003

wallworm

That is pretty cool.

I do remember that Ghost Town had some integration with OSM or was working on adding it. I didn't mess with it yet.

I have used Terrain to import landscapes from Google Earth, which is pretty cool.

It would be fun to see what someone could reproduce with the OSM and Terrain plugin working together.

I just might look into adding an OSM importer into the WW collection...we'll see :)

Redskull

Sounds like it'd be a tough feature to implement but it would definatley add more unique features to WW. One thing I've notice is although you can procedurally generate a level throught 3ds max it means nothing if the level doesn't have good flow. One of the reason I stumbled across this.

I remember having a blast thought with that terrain plugin. I looked up the sahara desert on google earth and exported the height map. It made a pretty cool map to drive around in with the hl2 buggy.

wallworm

I just checked and GhostTown Elite 0.65 has an OSM import/export. But the newest version (0.95) does not. GT 0.95+ is a whole rework of GT workflow, so maybe it is just temporarily missing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk