Substance Designer

Started by wallworm, October 13, 2015, 11:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

I've been a fan of Substance maps for several years, but only recently have I started to use them more regularly (especially now that WW Pro can work with them more seamlessly for Source). Some of my work lately has involved ShaderFX work in Max; but now I'm getting more interested in building new substances.

Anyone else in the WW community using Substance Designer effectively for making new substances? What tips do you have to share?

I'm hoping to start pumping out some substances for the WW nation. Any special requests to feed some of those adventures?

jrocket

It's a nice tool, especially for workflows that use a lot of maps, and for PBR stuff. It's a little more manageable than putting all your different maps(normal, diffuse, spec, Ect) in separate layer groups in Photoshop.
Since there's a native 3ds max integration, it (I think) it could be possible to script it to export right to vtf/vmt, but simply saving out bitmaps works fine as well  :)

wallworm

Yes. And as far as native exporting of substance to VTF, you can already do that in Max with WW Pro with the Advanced Texture Controls.

[EDIT] Pasted wrong video at first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6pXGCoMbVE

Making new substances themselves is really the challenge. What kind of substances can everyone think of?

wallworm

Some news:

SD 5 crashes upon opening after Jan 1. To fix this, download the update from Allegorithmic.

Also, I just read that the new Substance Engine (which SD5 uses) will be added to Max 2017 according to the Allegorithmic forums. This is good news. I'd hoped it was added to Max 2016, but oh well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk