Bake Map ?

Started by Exaco, December 03, 2015, 05:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exaco

Hello, i've noticed that WallWorm is converting the .smd / .qc files in realtime and the CPU is heavily loaded, my old i5-2320 can barely handle DE Dust 2 ( CS:GO ), i have like 0.3fps in Shaded mode ( even with no textures ) is there any way to Bake the map into simple ( not file format, just to be like it's all made in max :D ) .fbx or .obj type of geometry ? Because i've worked with models and maps that has over few million polygons with complex geometry and 2 to 4k tex and i had none lag with it and compared to Dust2 the D2 is nothing ( A few planes with few lowres textures ).

Also i will need to export the map as .FBX with embed media ( diffuse tex ), but first i need to fix some things there and i can barely do it due to the freezes/lag.

wallworm

Quote from: Exaco on December 03, 2015, 05:21:47 AM
Hello, i've noticed that WallWorm is converting the .smd / .qc files in realtime...

This is not true. The objects are imported once.

the CPU is heavily loaded, my old i5-2320 can barely handle DE Dust 2 ( CS:GO ), i have like 0.3fps in Shaded mode ( even with no textures )

I am sorry you are having this issue. Depending on which version of Max you are using and what your video card is, this could result from many different things. Hard to point the finger at one thing in particular.

is there any way to Bake the map into simple ( not file format, just to be like it's all made in max :D ) .fbx or .obj type of geometry ?

I'm not entirely certain what you are asking. Both FBX and OBJ are not "types" of geometry in Max. They are simply formats of files. Once in Max, they are identical to things you'd make in Max natively.

i've worked with models and maps that has over few million polygons with complex geometry and 2 to 4k tex and i had none lag with it and compared to Dust2 the D2 is nothing ( A few planes with few lowres textures ).
This could simply be the number of nodes in the scene as opposed to polycount. Some computers have problems with large numbers of independent objects in Max, especially on older versions of Max. What version are you on?

Also i will need to export the map as .FBX with embed media ( diffuse tex ), but first i need to fix some things there and i can barely do it due to the freezes/lag.
Exporting to FBX is straightforward. Just use File > Export. Look into the Max docs for specific FBX settings/functions.

Exaco

2012 for WW, Source Engine related ( because most of source engine related plugins does not work in newer Max ), 2015 for other works.

The issue is pretty mysterious, after importing D2 there is some kind of cubic model ( not skybox ) that doesn't exist in Hammer or Map itself, after deleting it the performance goes up like 300%. It's strange because 1 model without even hi poly count cannot cause the lag. And yea, when i delete all those transparent planes the performance increases. But it's still weird, c4d can barely handle the map when exported, also when i downgrade the map to CS:S version there's 0 lag ( ~100fps in shaded mode ) even the geometry and textures are the same. Soon i will test again. Maybe i will find the issue/fix and will report here.
My friend also has some issues, GTX 970, i7-4790K, 8GB RAM and he said he needs like a minute to select/deselect something.

wallworm

Quote from: Exaco on December 06, 2015, 08:15:27 AM
2012 for WW, Source Engine related ( because most of source engine related plugins does not work in newer Max ), 2015 for other works.

This is something for you to decide. There isn't any plugin for 2012 that isn't in 2015 that I personally need/use... and I work almost entirely for Source. 3ds Max 2012 is extremely slow compared to Max 2015+. There are SMD importers/exporters inside WW for Max 2015 that do not need external plugins. And if you have WW Pro, there is a VTF loader inside Max 2015. I wouldn't touch Max 2015 with a 10 foot pole at this point in time.

The issue is pretty mysterious, after importing D2 there is some kind of cubic model ( not skybox ) that doesn't exist in Hammer or Map itself, after deleting it the performance goes up like 300%. It's strange because 1 model without even hi poly count cannot cause the lag.
My best guess is that this object is a brush that imported incorrectly. If you right-click it and choose Object Properties, go to the user tab. Does it list imported brush IDs, etc? If so, it was brush that failed. In that case, you'll just need to delete and recreate it (assuming you can find where it was intended).

And yea, when i delete all those transparent planes the performance increases. But it's still weird, c4d can barely handle the map when exported, also when i downgrade the map to CS:S version there's 0 lag ( ~100fps in shaded mode ) even the geometry and textures are the same. Soon i will test again. Maybe i will find the issue/fix and will report here.

Transparency is an inherently expensive property. When you say you downgraded the map for CS:S, do you mean imported the CS:S version instead?

My friend also has some issues, GTX 970, i7-4790K, 8GB RAM and he said he needs like a minute to select/deselect something.

Is he also using Max 2012? Again, using Max 2012 is not recommended. But you will have to use whatever version you feel fits your needs. My advice to you is to use Max 2015+ for your Source Engine work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk