Decals import Bug and wrong paths.

Started by SairesArt, December 13, 2015, 11:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

Quote from: SairesArt on December 26, 2015, 07:44:13 PM
no, no. I was using prop library from vmf file
It's completly broken.
Just rerolled to old version, works, then went back to dev version and it's broken, 100% reproducible.
Thanks for seeing and reporting. I'll fix this tomorrow (the wife treated me to some Blue Moon tonight... so it's not a good idea for me to try to fix anything tonight :) )

Quote from: SairesArt on December 26, 2015, 07:51:23 PM

Also I cannot select the "VMT Imports Library". The tick mark is greyed out.
Tried multiple stuff.

It's just, in the materialsrc path, open .vmt with notepad and remove the wrongly placed .vmt correct?

That is OK. It means the file wasn't generated and used. It might not be generated in this instance anyway (or maybe related to bug above).

I'll hopefully figure out what I broke in the Import Prop Library from VMF function. Once fixed, it should address all the issues mentioned above except for the decal orientation.

SairesArt

Quote from: wallworm on December 26, 2015, 08:34:50 PM
Once fixed, it should address all the issues mentioned above except for the decal orientation.
Great, many thanks I really appreciate, that there is active deving for WW.
Although Decal orientation is not a problem, the fact that it isnt imported/material created for it.
Like demonstrated in this video: www.saires.de/wallworm
I can work around this doe.

Have a nice evening.

I presume its evening, since it's almost 3am over here

edit: had to google it, I'm a big fan of blue caracao. (or cointreu which is the same without blue food coloring). Fun to see Beer being mixed with orange flavor. Here in german we are set on strict beer making ways. No orange experiemnts  :[

wallworm

HAHAHA. I'm not super knowledgeable about German beers, but I do love many Belgian beers. We have an Oktoberfest here that has German beers that are great, but I never remember the names. You'll have to advise me. I'll try to do Herr Snapp honor (may he rest in peace): I kann die namen nicht erinnern.

But as is the case with all overly zealous dudes, I couldn't let the night go without looking.

So I briefly looked and fixed what I broke. If you feel adventurous, download DEV again and see if prop library import works now.

wallworm

Just an update. Turns out the update last night to DEV was not as promising as I thought. Still looking into it.

wallworm

OK, I've updated the DEV download again today. Please test importing scenes now (for props). The function to import props from entities should no longer freeze up Max.

SairesArt

Quote from: wallworm on December 26, 2015, 09:46:49 PMYou'll have to advise me.
The Top beers are Radeberger, Oettinger and Hasseröder. But only just because they are established brands. Advising on taste is damn near imbossible, since people rarely agree on what good beer taste is.

It took me some time to realise, that the vmts are taken not from the materialsrc path, but from where the game info txt is, so the actual mod folder. This was nowhere cleary specified. So instead editing vmts and being kicked due to sv_pure 1, I copied the mod, and ran a notepad++ replace for ".vmt" Worked like a charm.

Quote from: wallworm on December 27, 2015, 05:17:04 PM
should no longer freeze up Max.
Now using Import props from scenen enttities works correctly and build a library like it should.
Everything works fine, exept Decals still not importing materials and displacements remaining black no matter what.

wallworm

Quote from: SairesArt on December 27, 2015, 06:11:31 PM
It took me some time to realise, that the vmts are taken not from the materialsrc path, but from where the game info txt is, so the actual mod folder. This was nowhere cleary specified. So instead editing vmts and being kicked due to sv_pure 1, I copied the mod, and ran a notepad++ replace for ".vmt" Worked like a charm.

Well I guess I could be more explicit. The VMF Importer Docs do state that:

QuoteBefore Importing a Level
2. You have used GCFScape to unpack your mod's VMTs and VTFs into a separate folder on your hard drive.
3. You have used VTFEdit to batch convert the VTFs (from the GCFScape step above) into TGA files. *Not necessary if you have WW Pro.
4. You have opened the Wall Worm Material Library Generator at least once and set the root materials folder to the root folder of the libraries you unpacked above.

and

QuoteNote that, like with the materials for the displacements and brush geometry, the VMTS, TGAs need to be accessible in the Material Library Generator path.

If you have Wall Worm Pro installed and your mod's assets are already inside [mod]/materials then you can simply set the Material Generator root to the mod's material folder. This is because WW Pro will just get the VTF files there and no need for TGA files.

The reason materialsrc isn't used for VMT lookups is because you generally never have VMT files there. The VMT files are always in the game's material folders. To keep it all sanitary, that is why I've added the material library generator path to it's own location.

Everything works fine, exept Decals still not importing materials
Decals not importing a texture is something I'll need to look at. In my tests, the decal textures have imported fine.

...and displacements remaining black no matter what.
This could be a viewport setting. When you select the displacement's material in Slate, what materials show up?

WW displacement shaders all require you to use the DX11 Nitrous shader for Max 2015+. They won't work if using any other viewport setting (like D3D). Check this under Customize > Preferences > Viewports > Display Driver. It should say Nitrous (Direct 3D 11 Feature Level 11) or similar.

SairesArt

Quote from: wallworm on December 28, 2015, 03:18:15 PM
Decals not importing a texture is something I'll need to look at. In my tests, the decal textures have imported fine.
In mine, they have yet to import a texture even once ;_;
I'll make a small test map with five decals. Not onve did a texture parameter land in max.

Quote from: wallworm on December 28, 2015, 03:18:15 PM
When you select the displacement's material in Slate, what materials show up?
It's on Nitrous DX11, never changed it.
It stopped working once you updated it.
It stays black, no matter if I apply new materials to it, no matter if I select or deselect it. The geometry is cursed!

SairesArt

Ahh, cant roll back anymore, so black displacements remain for me in this version.
Deleted older WW version to compare.
Small decal testmap included.
www.saires.de/small_decal_testmap.zip

wallworm

Send me a sample VMF with one brush and one decal that isn't importing. I'll discover the issue.

In terms of displacements... try this: Open Slate and use the Material Picker. Then pick the material on the displacement.

Double-click the DirectX Material (should be at far right) and take a screen shot of what is in the material editor as well as the entire tree of the material (in the slate view).

wallworm

Well Here is what I did:

I copied the decals folder into my Material Library Generator path.

Then I imported the level. Below is what popped up.

SairesArt

Quote from: wallworm on December 28, 2015, 10:16:25 PM
Then I imported the level. Below is what popped up.
I dont understand it, I do exactly as you O.o
When generating Material library, I can generate for decals aswell, they just dont import and dont create geometry, the actual step thats needed.

Displacements black, directX material works, will do some screenshots.

SairesArt

Screenyshotty.

wallworm

What I need is the Displacement Shader that WW creates for your displacements. That decal material looks correct. But I don't see a Displacement material.

SairesArt

Quote from: wallworm on December 29, 2015, 12:24:33 PM
What I need is the Displacement Shader that WW creates for your displacements.
There is no such shader created apperently

Quote from: wallworm on December 29, 2015, 12:24:33 PM
That decal material looks correct. But I don't see a Displacement material.
But it never ever workes, so frustrating, especially since you got it to work on the small decal test map, it just never works for me, no matter the setup, even rebuilt the material src again, still.
The one in the screen shot isgenerated from material library generator, but it doesnt generate on import or appl or create decal geometry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk