Happy New Year And New Question...

Started by onur89tr, December 26, 2015, 03:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onur89tr

Hello all. I watched Shawn Olson's video. And thanks to him. I'm making all settings. But transparent image isn't soft. But my alpha channel appears soft. Where is my fault? I reseted my 3ds Max settings but it's not fixed. What can I do? Thanks...

CarbonCopyCat

Setting the ambient color of your material to black should fix the problem.

onur89tr

Quote from: CarbonCopyCat on December 26, 2015, 04:13:46 PM
Setting the ambient color of your material to black should fix the problem.
I will try now. Thanks for reply.

wallworm

Show a screen shot of the BITMAP node settings. (The Bitmap parameters section with alpha settings, etc).

onur89tr

Quote from: wallworm on December 26, 2015, 04:46:45 PM
Show a screen shot of the BITMAP node settings. (The Bitmap parameters section with alpha settings, etc).

wallworm

OK, I just needed to verify.

There are a few things.

1) The alpha in the Viewport doesn't always match 100% the actual alpha . So make a scene Render if it looks like u expect or not.
2) Make sure that the image has the correct gamma that you expect. Gamma values can sometimes have an effect.
3) Verify the alpha channel in the bitmap. It's not immediately apparent to me what effect you are expecting and what is specifically happening in a way you don't expect.

onur89tr

I looked to everything... This is very difficult to me, mate.  :'( I looked to Gamma too. This is my image with alpha (in attachment)... I was reset my 3ds Max settings too. When I make opacity 0, it's fixing in realistic Viewport. But I can't see nothing in model result...

wallworm

When I opened the file, the scene works as you'd expect.

You can visualize the alpha channel in the Material Editor by changing the bitmap's RGB Channel Output from RGB to Alpha as Gray. Any part of the image that is WHITE is if FULLY OPAQUE. Any part of the image that is BLACK is FULLY TRANSPARENT. Values in between are different levels of transparent. So any part of the image that should be transparent needs to have a BLACK alpha color.

Hopefully this helps you understand. So if you created the alpha channel inside another program like Gimp, Photo-Paint or PS, then you'll want to make your alpha mask appropriately. If I was making it in Photo-Paint (which is the bitmap editor I use) I'd paint that area behind the person black. You probably want the shirt all painted white. The only gray values would be right along the outline of the cut-out and mainly around the hair.

K@rt

Yep, I agree with Shawn. Had a quick look at the file/tga and it renders exactly how you would expect it to...

Completely white areas = no transparency
Completely black areas = fully transparent
50% grey areas = 50% transparent
and so on..

If you want to mask the image so just the head is seen, follow Shawns instructions... make  the background completely black and make the head+shoulders completely white, with a little feathering around the edges to soften them.

onur89tr

Quote from: K@rt on December 28, 2015, 09:07:21 PM
Yep, I agree with Shawn. Had a quick look at the file/tga and it renders exactly how you would expect it to...

Completely white areas = no transparency
Completely black areas = fully transparent
50% grey areas = 50% transparent
and so on..

If you want to mask the image so just the head is seen, follow Shawns instructions... make  the background completely black and make the head+shoulders completely white, with a little feathering around the edges to soften them.
Firstly, I solved problem. I downloaded 3DS Max "2015", not "2016". My 3DS Max 2016 has problems for me and others. Example, grey alpha wasn't appear transparent. It was appear just opaque or invisible. But there is no problem in 2015. You can compare them with my images. Anyway, thanks to everybody.
3DS Max 2016

3DS Max 2015

wallworm

Well, even though there may have been a display disparity between the two versions, the display in 2016 is actually the correct display. Gray is not actually transparent (it's partially transparent). So the results in the viewport in 2016 are actually accurate. And if you export that into game, the gray alpha will show up as it does in Max unless you have some very strong $alphatestreference settings in the VMT. The bitmap in the file I downloaded and tests actually should appear as it is displaying in 2016. The gray area should be painted to black in the bitmap's alpha if you want it to be transparent.

EDIT: I didn't notice the label for 2015 in the image above. This new image makes me wonder if I misunderstood the whole question all along. Maybe you were only talking about the quality of fading of the alpha? If so, then this is a display issue that might be affected by video card or service pack version or viewport settings (click viewport display mode in top left and Configure Viewport) . Or it could be that 2016 just uses a different alphatest setting for performance reasons.

onur89tr

Quote from: wallworm on January 05, 2016, 12:30:43 PM
Well, even though there may have been a display disparity between the two versions, the display in 2016 is actually the correct display. Gray is not actually transparent (it's partially transparent). So the results in the viewport in 2016 are actually accurate. And if you export that into game, the gray alpha will show up as it does in Max unless you have some very strong $alphatestreference settings in the VMT. The bitmap in the file I downloaded and tests actually should appear as it is displaying in 2016. The gray area should be painted to black in the bitmap's alpha if you want it to be transparent.

EDIT: I didn't notice the label for 2015 in the image above. This new image makes me wonder if I misunderstood the whole question all along. Maybe you were only talking about the quality of fading of the alpha? If so, then this is a display issue that might be affected by video card or service pack version or viewport settings (click viewport display mode in top left and Configure Viewport) . Or it could be that 2016 just uses a different alphatest setting for performance reasons.
I'm glad to you understand.  ;D The image was illusory and my English is very bad. Sorry about that...  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk