OLD SCHOOLERS #1

Started by wallworm, January 25, 2016, 12:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

So people are asking me to list the contestants in Contest 1. I do not yet know all of the contestants yet. I'll start listing those in contest 1 here. Just announce your entry in this thread and I'll list you.

These are people who have said they are participating in thread below or who have said they are participating in IMs or email:

There are four others whom I know to be considering. If you are on the fence, now's the time to jump in! (I'm going to extend the contest a few weeks to give everyone some more time to practice the out-of-Hammer experience :) ).

warmeup

Count me in :D

Edit: there is a 90% chance that i won't make it on time :(, so i'm somewhat out.
Edit: Nvm can't make my mind xD

Infidel

Alright ladies, the Dingo has arrived. I am in.

the6thmonkey

I'm in as well! :)
Good luck everyone

Joris Ceoen

wallworm

Quote from: warmeup on January 25, 2016, 12:54:39 PM
Edit: there is a 90% chance that i won't make it on time :(, so i'm somewhat out.
You got to participate!! There are still weeks to make something! One of the most popular maps I ever made for CS 1.6 was made on a single afternoon. Two+ weeks is plenty of time to finish a brush-only map! :D

Quote from: Infidel on January 25, 2016, 06:56:32 PM
Alright ladies, the Dingo has arrived. I am in.

Oh no.... :P

Quote from: the6thmonkey on January 26, 2016, 03:55:00 AM
I'm in as well! :)
Good luck everyone

Awesome!

Quote from: Joris Ceoen on February 11, 2016, 03:17:51 AM
I'm in as well  8)

Uh oh, boys-n-girls... remember Joris has won a couple Gamebanana contests. Now you got your work cut out. Of course, I'm not sure Joris has ever had the occasion to make a level with no models yet!

warmeup

Quote from: wallworm on February 11, 2016, 10:08:10 AM
You got to participate!! There are still weeks to make something! One of the most popular maps I ever made for CS 1.6 was made on a single afternoon. Two+ weeks is plenty of time to finish a brush-only map! :D

Yes you're right I was over thinking, and spending so much time detailing brushes to look close to models by working on modular assets etc.

Joris Ceoen

Quote from: wallworm on February 11, 2016, 10:08:10 AM
Uh oh, boys-n-girls... remember Joris has won a couple Gamebanana contests. Now you got your work cut out. Of course, I'm not sure Joris has ever had the occasion to make a level with no models yet!
Haha, well I never thought about making a level entirely from brushes ever. As you know, my first map ever was to test out modeling and ever since I couldn't ever think of designing solely based off of brushes (who would, honestly?). It's interesting to bend my mind around these limitations, hopefully I'll come up with something decent, although I can't promise it will be on-par to what other people could do with only this. If anything, I guess someone with a lot of experience in 1.6 will have more comfort in this (because there it was almost only brushes if I recall correctly).

Quote from: warmeup on February 12, 2016, 06:22:10 AM
Yes you're right I was over thinking, and spending so much time detailing brushes to look close to models by working on modular assets etc.
To be honest, I think that the most important element when only using brushes is to put the detail in the texturing. Overdoing the geometry will result in poor performance and it just couldn't tip to the geometrical freedom in a model.

Rush_Freak

I'm making an attempt at an arena/DM style map to see how it turns out.

Hoping I don't get more hung up on the design than the playability because this will be the first map I try that isn't just eyecandy. Though I think brushes only will work well with the angular artstyle I've got in my head.

Joris Ceoen

Quote from: Rush_Freak on February 19, 2016, 12:34:30 AM
I'm making an attempt at an arena/DM style map to see how it turns out.

Hoping I don't get more hung up on the design than the playability because this will be the first map I try that isn't just eyecandy. Though I think brushes only will work well with the angular artstyle I've got in my head.
Cool! Nice to have you on the contest :) It makes me motived to continue on my project when I see more people enter!

wallworm

I updated the OP. I'll actually list contestants there, since I know a couple that haven't posted here yet. Spread the word!

Joris Ceoen

Wow, 9 people! I'm feeling the heat coming from behind ;D Time for me to take this seriously!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk