Old School Level Design Contest #1

Started by wallworm, January 04, 2016, 12:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

wallworm

New addition to First Prize includes Zookeeper. Woot!

warmeup

Wow nice.
Btw can you list the people who entered this contest?

wallworm

Quote from: warmeup on January 25, 2016, 12:36:01 PM
Wow nice.
Btw can you list the people who entered this contest?

I don't know the list yet, just assumptions about several WW guys. So I just started a new thread here for people to announce their participation in the contest.

wallworm

And now more prizes for 1st, 2nd AND 3rd places from enRrich Pro. Rich Scene (with RichDirt Extreme) to 1st place. RichDirt Extreme to 2nd place. And RichDirt to 3rd place. Woot!

This is perfect for adding grime and dirt and weathering to materials--especially on architectural geometry like brushes. So you can download the trial and use it right now to help add flavor to your level in the contest--and maybe win a full license!

Infidel

Fellow worms, if you are going to be part of the contest please drop by the second thread and add you name.
Thanks!
- Dingo

wallworm

Good reminder.

And here is something I should have mentioned. You can get a free trial/demo version of GrowFX, RichDirt and Zookeeper from the links in the opening post. All three plugins are extremely powerful. GrowFX and Zookeeper are more prizes in preparation for later contests--but RichDirt is one you could use to add a ton of flavor to your brush texturing. So you could use the RichDirt demo to add detailing textures to your brushes and hopefully win a copy permanently. I'm going to try and make a video in the next week to show how you can use RichDirt to add depth to your brush texturing.

warmeup

It's so hard to not use models and displacements :P

wallworm

Quote from: warmeup on February 02, 2016, 03:28:46 PM
It's so hard to not use models and displacements :P

Well it certainly turns back the clock on design. But this contest is primarily to show people that the basics of BSP design in Max are identical to Hammer when it comes to fundamental concepts. And it leads into following contests.

Mainly, I think it's important in this version to create asthetics with atmosphere, lighting and sky... and focus on gameplay with the construction of the level. We may return to these levels in the future in contests that then allow props and displacements. That's still up in the air. So you can always keep ideas for flowering up the level in the back of your mind.

warmeup

Are we allowed to use entities such as items_healthkit or weapons etc?

wallworm

Quote from: warmeup on February 06, 2016, 05:19:24 PM
Are we allowed to use entities such as items_healthkit or weapons etc?
Yes, you can. You can use any entity in the game except props themselves (so no prop_static, prop_dynamic, prop_physics, etc). We'll be allowing props in following contests. Right now try to generate interesting geometry out of brushes.

Joris Ceoen

It's about high time I get my ass moving on my entry. Mine will probably be not all that 'great' in the detailed sense, but hopefully the gameplay will be on par.  :D

wallworm

I've got some inquiries about extending the deadline. I'm considering extending it. What is everyone's opinion?

func_Mathias

No problem here, I've only half figured out the style I'm going for so might be good with more time.

Joris Ceoen

I could cook a level in time, but it would be very basic and short. If more people want more time, I will very likely profit from it, so I'm not against it  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk