Old School Level Design Contest #1

Started by wallworm, January 04, 2016, 12:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joris Ceoen

This is my entry for now, it's so heavily WIP that it's almost not a WIP but more a rough concept design for what it should be going towards to in the next contest: http://www.wallworm.net/index.php/topic,1575.0.html

Information will soon be added  :)

wallworm

Well the deadline is here. I'm downloading the entries now. Looks like there are only 4 entries. Certainly not as many as I expected, but better than the first contest. Thanks to everyone who participated.

I'll add links to the four here and discuss more tomorrow.

the6thmonkey

Yeah, I'm a little frustrated that there doesn't seem to be any finished entries despite so many people voting for early deadlines.
Well at least I learnt a lot during the contest, which should help me in future

func_Mathias

I'm all done writing and sorting out my entry now, that crunsh time was intense, now it's 7 in the morning  :-\
Anyway here it is!  :D

Rush_Freak

Alright guys, got my (still WIP) entry finished enough I hope. Here's a link to the level thread: dm_lobby
Let me know what you think. <3

wallworm

NEWS FLASH!

So I'm adding one additional day of bonus fun to polish your goods! Hurry before the judges get a grasp! March 21 at midnight Eastern Standard Time is now your bonus deadline!!!

func_Mathias

Oo neat, time to do a little polish I couldn't during crunch time :D
Monkey and Joris, you should both see if theres something quick you can do to add just a little bit more to your levels!

wallworm

Judging is started. So results will be in soon.

wallworm

One judge has submitted results. Still waiting on the other. As soon as that's in, the verdict will be handed out.

wallworm

Results will be in today. Stay tuned :)

Joris Ceoen

Quote from: wallworm on March 30, 2016, 10:23:03 AM
Results will be in today. Stay tuned :)
Cool!

My predictions are the following:

3) hl2dm_slopedcurve
2) gg_futurelobby
1) fy_delaunay_world

I personally had trouble to see exactly which of the last 2 maps would be first... But I believe that the way delaunay world works is more unique, though the visuals of futurelobby are better. I just feel these 2 have their strong points equal but in different regions of mapmaking.

wallworm

And here are the results you've been waiting for. The results are in. Sorry it took so long :) Next contest will be judged faster.

FIRST PLACE: gg_lobby
SECOND PLACE: fy_delaunay_world
THIRD PLACE: ze_aqualabs

The ranking was very close between gg_lobby and fy_delaunay_world. fy_delaunay_world rated highest with creativity, but gg_lobby etched out a small lead with slightly better scores in game play and optimization. Both tied with visual quality.

I'll be sending each of the winners some tips and information from the judging, including the judge review notes and suggestions.

I am proud of the results and happy that you guys came through with some really cool BSP-only projects in Max. Thank you for participating. I really hope you had fun!

And Special Thanks to our sponsors and judges!

I will need to make arrangements for licenses and prizes, so please be patient while I organize that with the sponsors.

And get ready for the next contest, which will let you use all of the arsenal of Wall Worm and 3ds Max.

Rush_Freak

Hah, I figured those hint brushes would help at least a little. Was a good learning experience though, I want to enter more contests later on now that I've got a decent amount of the workflow down. (And get to play around with models!)

We definitely need more entrants next time, instead of whittling down to "top 3 out of 4". I'm eager to see what kinds of new things people are gonna make with the tools.

func_Mathias

Grats on the win Rush_Freak, figured you'd be higher on gameplay and optimization :)
Looking forward to getting the notes and some more detailed explenation, will try to update accordingly.
And looking forward to the next contest, learned a lot during this one!!

Thanks for hosting this Shawn  :D

Joris Ceoen

I actually got the third place xD? Cool, I'll be interested in seeing what RichDirt has in store! I think that's actually the best one of all that I could use for now, I've not been the best in adding dirt and decals to maps so it could help me out tremendously!

As for the license of pro and corvex, would it be possible for me to gift those instead? Perhaps to warmeup who could use a booster for the next contest?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk