Help with Displacements

Started by Steeldrgn, January 23, 2016, 02:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeldrgn

So I have used WallWorm tools before for a map that I was working on. I put that project on hold for a while but now I want to start again. I've decided to just start fresh from the beginning.

So my problem right now is just making displacements for the map. I am successful at making displacements from a plane and from a box and just selecting faces. However, when I import into Hammer and try to compile and run, it always gives me the error that it "Found a displacement edge abutting other edges." I haven't modified the displacement in anyway. It only happens when I make a box and selecting polygons and selecting the polys to displacement option. I can make one displacement and it works fine. However, with multiple displacements, this error occurs.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong and I have spent hours just trying different ways of making displacements and googling the problem.

Thanks,
Steeldrgn

wallworm

Quote from: Steeldrgn on January 23, 2016, 02:16:32 PM
However, when I import into Hammer and try to compile and run, it always gives me the error that it "Found a displacement edge abutting other edges."

Welcome back.

To my knowledge this won't cause an actual error but it's a notification.

To explain what causes it, I'll need to make a little scene and screen shot. So I'll do that in a bit.

Steeldrgn

Well the fact that it gives me that error, vbsp.exe just crashes so it never actually finishes creating the BSP file. Any way around that?

wallworm

I've never seen this particular issue cause a crash in VBSP. What version of Source are you running? Generally it's something else that will crash VBSP.

Anyway, I added a new doc on this issue here: Displacement edge abutting other edges

Steeldrgn

Right now I'm using the Left 4 Dead 2 Authoring tools. I'm not sure if that would be a problem.

I have created only 1 box primitive and divided it into 4x4x1 segments. I then put a poly select modifier onto the box and select the top faces. From there I create the displacements from only the top polygons selected. I export the map out and import into hammer. I see the displacements and when I go to run it, it gives me that error and crashes VBSP.

Here are some pics of the process.

wallworm

That level isn't sealed. The crash is most likely that you have no world geometry in the scene. You must seal the level with world geometry in Source. It's most likely that the crash is completely independent of the notice.

Steeldrgn

Ok so sealing the whole thing in stopped the displacement issue but now it won't compile at all and has no error. Do you think you have any clue as to what the problem may be? It stops on the WriteBSP step and crashes. It only crashes if displacements are there. Other world brush geometry allows it to run fine.

Edit: So I was actually able to fix the problem by deleting the underlying world brush that I used to create the displacement. Is that what I was suppose to do? I thought you could leave the brush there and just manipulate the displacement/sculpt mesh.

wallworm

Quote from: Steeldrgn on January 23, 2016, 06:50:20 PM
Edit: So I was actually able to fix the problem by deleting the underlying world brush that I used to create the displacement. Is that what I was suppose to do? I thought you could leave the brush there and just manipulate the displacement/sculpt mesh.

Did you tag this object as a brush in WW? The underlying brush shouldn't have exported unless you'd tagged it. In that case, it's correctness as a valid brush depend on it's topology. You do not need to tag geometry as world geometry unless you want it to appear or be used in game. But if you tag something as a brush then create displacements from it, WW will use that brush as the basis of the displacements inside Source; if the object wasn't tagged, WW will auto-generate the brush for that displacement.

Steeldrgn

Ahh I see. I did tag it as as a brush and then made the displacements. That makes sense. Thank you again.

wallworm

If you want to keep your basic brush object as the source of the displacements and no use auto-generated brush faces, then use it as the source node in a ShellVex object with Extrusion set to Extrude In, Sew Outer Vers On, Cap Opposite End On, Force Convex Polygons on and Snap Precision on and finally Face Selection set to Cap. Then create Displacements from that object selection. Now the ShellVex node will be your displacement brushes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk