Decals import Bug and wrong paths.

Started by SairesArt, December 13, 2015, 11:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SairesArt

Quote from: wallworm on December 29, 2015, 12:24:33 PM
But I don't see a Displacement material.
Well, I hope I dont bother you to death ^^
Removed and reinstalled 3dsmax 2015, with sp3
Tried all 3 Displacement shader settings - 100% black displacements

Decals still don't import. Never did. No Material being created.
Could you maybe show the setup of your ww settings? Maybe its some magic comination on fgd's and or binary folder settings, that prevents Decals from creating geometry and material.

Dev version, aswell as 29.12 Official version tested. Sad news only :|
Happy almost 2016, may the new year bring joy to you and your family.

I'm off sacrifcing baby kittens to the code bug gods. May their wrath be silenced.

wallworm

Here are my settings for CSGO. Note that if you do not have WW Pro, then anything with an asterisk is a difference, because in WW Pro things labeled with "MXS" force WW Pro to use the free addition functions. This means that without WW Pro, then Use MXS VMT Importer, MXS Entity Definitions and Use MAXScript VMF Exporter are on implicitly. So those are potential differences.

SairesArt

Quote from: wallworm on January 01, 2016, 03:15:54 PM
Here are my settings for CSGO. Note that if you do not have WW Pro, then anything with an asterisk is a difference, because in WW Pro things labeled with "MXS" force WW Pro to use the free addition functions. This means that without WW Pro, then Use MXS VMT Importer, MXS Entity Definitions and Use MAXScript VMF Exporter are on implicitly. So those are potential differences.
I have seen and tried it all, time to put it to rest.

The summary, for WallWorm Model Tools Free v2.754:

• Slow prop imports fixed
  • Wrong Overlay Scale non uniform scale for tiled overlays fixed
  • Despite multiple attempts, reinstalls, different paths, fgd's, settings and combination of all the mentioned, all infodecal entities never imported, assigned a material, read entity information or exported, despite you proving it worked on your machine (also tried different sourcesdk versions and the csgo setup you had)
  • Since the Displacement update in the dev build, all consequent updates 100% broke viewport displacement imports. No matter the Displacement shader settings, 100% of the time broken, black, but does have geometry, a material and all propeties set correctly. The Renderer sees it correctly aswell. All Dx9 and Dx11 nitrous, no matter the API, all broken
  • NEW Bug since v2.754: Ticking or Unticking "Legacy Mat Names" under Legacy settings crashes MaxScript and thus bricks WW until the next 3dsMax restart, see Screenshot

That's about it. I shall reinstall and stetup WW one last time and just work around the (for me) broken decals and Displacements.
One last question:
Is there a way to free the displacement geometry from it's shader? No matter what I do (convert to editable poly, apply New material, apply non standart material from other renderer, do multiple show in viewport options) it always stays black, if I dont revert to the pre-blackmesa shader update. So basicly just get the goddamn verticies in a quick conversion process.

wallworm

Thanks for the info. I made an update to WW just now to fix that legacy material name setting.

For the record, you should generally not use that setting with WW 2013+ unless you are compiling to GoldSource.

In any event, I will test WW with WW Free today and see if it still works for me. It's possible that something is broken in WW free as opposed to WW Pro. I just don't test outside WW Pro so much as it's a hassle on my end to switch to different versions etc. But I'll see if that is the culprit.

SairesArt

Quote from: wallworm on January 06, 2016, 10:04:52 AM
I hope you like fixing bugs, just as much I like to find them :D

Pressing "Parse and Import" on the detail vbsp window crashes WW

Also, did trying decals on free version return anything? I'm currently working with a map of 79 infodecal entities. Meaning having to goto hammer, lookup texture, read texture dimesions, create plane from texture dimesions, apply material, rezise to dimensions and allign to broken infodecal WW proxy, 79 times D:

minor question: is it possible to remove the all WW attributes from all geometry and entities in 3dsmax? to clear them from everything in the modifier tab, that belongs to WW?

edit:Gah, scartch that, apperently updating to v2.759 fixed this!

wallworm

Quote from: SairesArt on January 13, 2016, 07:14:36 PM
Also, did trying decals on free version return anything? I'm currently working with a map of 79 infodecal entities. Meaning having to goto hammer, lookup texture, read texture dimesions, create plane from texture dimesions, apply material, rezise to dimensions and allign to broken infodecal WW proxy, 79 times D:
It worked here when I tested in Free version. At this point I think the only solution is a screen share session.
minor question: is it possible to remove the all WW attributes from all geometry and entities in 3dsmax? to clear them from everything in the modifier tab, that belongs to WW?
Nothing built into WW for that. Why is that necessary?
edit:Gah, scartch that, apperently updating to v2.759 fixed this!
I wouldn't be so sure. The Unknown System Exception is a very particular bug that I've been slowly dealing with. It is because MAXScript's native file reading functions randomly crash when reading file lines and the end of the file doesn't have the expected Windows file endings. What is odd is that you can run the functions a hundred times, and it will randomly crash every random number of times.

I'd edit the VBSP file and make sure that it has \r\n file endings throughout the document and one at the end of the file.

EDIT: That being said, I've updated some areas of WW that parse files to eliminate the problem. This is a place where I haven't touched in a while (vbsp) so it's possible I can make the error go away. Sometimes a logic change can fix it from happening.

SairesArt

Quote from: wallworm on January 13, 2016, 10:32:58 PM
Nothing built into WW for that. Why is that necessary?
Minor workflow stuff, doesn't matter if there is no one click solution.

SairesArt

Quote from: wallworm on January 13, 2016, 10:32:58 PM
Here we go again:
1. Bug report from skype
2. Bug report
3. Question

Last time I showed that Tree MultiSubmap import problem. It's no problem to me, as it can quickly replace all errors

Certain models with multisubmap props, where skin is changing not all textures, but only a part of the prop, vmf-import only as a non-sub multimap material and ignore the rest of the mats.
Simpler:
Tree has a material for leaves and a material for tree trunk. A skin change does not replace all textures and leaves certain textures (tree trunk) the same, while changing other (leaves)
These models fail to import correctly with the VMF map importer (image 1)
However, imported with the QC/SMD importer everything imports perfectly and just fine (image 2)
These concerns other models aswell

As requested mdl/smd/qc + textures provided here: http://www.saires.de/server/misc/tree.zip

This is propably a fault of the model setup and is a low priority bug. No fixing is actually needed.

This one I tought was eradicated, when you updated the importer to remove the missing vertex bug. It seems, it still exists:
Certain Displacements import in a streched? collapsed? and broken manner. I can quickly rebuild it on my own though and this concerns only some random displacements, which are big in size.
Apperently (too small sample size to say for sure) these concerns only random concave, not convex displacements.
(Image 3), (Image 4). (note: bad viewport material is due to using non-standart materials for a renderer)
Rebuild problematic geomtry doesn't help. Other buttons neither.

Low priority bug. No immideate fixing is actually needed, as it only concerns rare random ones.

I would like to turbosmooth the imported models, as I'm running into the shadow terminator bug raytracers suffer from, with low poly models and strong bump/normals, and because the silluettes look bad close up. It also breakes Smoothing. Even if I apply smoothing post subdivide, it just brakes and shades the model 100% flat, no matter the smoothing group or auto smooth with 180°.
Subdiv does not work, no matter what solution I come up with. It only subdivides the poly in it self, ignoring it's connection and angle of the polys it's connected to.
Is there a way to fix/work around this, without breaking the skin, bone and animation hierarchy?

Already tried: (WW) Weld verticies,(WW) Quadrify, import as one model/animated improt, static import, convert into all sorts of things, smooth, convert to editable/poly/mesh and some other random stuff.
Images in next post:
(image 5), (image 6), (image 7), (image 8 )

SairesArt

Quote from: SairesArt on January 18, 2016, 09:08:23 AM
Images in next post:
(image 5), (image 6), (image 7), (image 8 )
5. original
6. original wireframe
7. subdiv wireframe
8. subdiv shows flat shading

render:

wallworm

Thanks for the report.

VMF Model Import Materials: This is likely because in the VMF importer, the system defaults to not use a "deep" material lookups and some other shortcuts. The main reason is for import speeds. It is probably better to import a prop manually to the prop library before importing a scene if it is having this issue. I'll consider a "no shortcut" option in the future.

Displacement Error: During the session you import a VMF, as long as you haven't changed scenes, etc, you can use some of the functions in the VMF Importer UI. One is to rebuild a brush/displacement. So you can select that displacement, change the VMF Importer to not use Default Brush Generation and then click the Rebuild Selected button and turn on Validate Geometry. Those options should generally be off as they are slower, but they can sometimes fix some errors like this.

Subdividing Mesh: Try manually adding a Vertex Weld Modifier on top of the modifier stack and then adding your Turbosmooth.

SairesArt

Quote from: wallworm on January 18, 2016, 09:29:05 AMTry manually adding a Vertex Weld Modifier on top of the modifier stack and then adding your Turbosmooth.
Yes, that worked, thanks :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk