Surf_Highway

Started by warmeup, November 24, 2015, 05:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warmeup

Hello everyone, it's about time to start working on some serious level design. I am sorry for the delay, I should have started a couple of months ago.
On every Friday i will add to this post the weekly progress.
Through the progress i would like to hear your opinion about the progress.
I also would like to make this thread like some sort of timelapse where i show what am i feeling/thinking at a certain moment of the progress.
I hope i surprise you with the results.

Day 0: (Setting up)

Can you smell that? It's the smell of a fresh and empty scene, lots and lots of work to do, I am Excited to start.

Week 1:

-Worked on a concept
-Came up with theories
-Designed the outline on a scratch
-Started testing with wallworm

Wallworm tools are amazing. I loved how wallworm deal with concave objects, and also loved the Wallworm utilities like the problem checker.
I am impressed by how easy it is to create a room by starting from 1 single spline. Thank you shawn olson this is going to be faster than expected.

Here is my test on concave geometry:

Some optimisations are needed for the poly count.
Next up i am going to test some texture and how they will look in game (specular, bump, selfillum ...), and prepare the spawn/lobby.

Week 2:

-Tested some features in wallworm pro
-Attempted exporting maps using wallworm

I did not do much progress this week, but i've spent my time learning texture flags and how they work(export) using wallworm pro. Also, i've spent most of my time on the wiki just to refresh my mind on the source engine.

please note that this textures is just for testing it's not official :P . Also i'm having a problem with the texture mapping, where i have unwrapped them correctly in max, but they glitched out somehow in-game. I'm sure i'm going to solve it soon :P

week 3:

- Working on the spawn room
- Testing ambient lighting
- Tested on some animated textures and messed around with flags

wallworm

Joris Ceoen

Superb! The last level I tackled in 3DS Max was in fact surf, so I will watch your progress with great interest   ;D

warmeup

Great, i am willing to make the level believable as much as possible.

Joris Ceoen

That definitly looks interesting already! Is that mostly brush geometry or/and model?

warmeup

It's brush geometry, did it using corvex.

warmeup

I am sorry guys i didn't work on the map during these 2 and a half weeks, i was being overloaded by multiple projects and by my midterm exams, and i was using my free time to play games.

wallworm

Thanks for the update. Keep sharing. And share your experiences, discoveries and challenges.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk