Texture Issue + Blank Message upon exporting a sequence (WW V. 2.76)

Started by Primarina, January 26, 2016, 03:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primarina

I am using Windows 10 and 3DS Max 2015 FYI.

Somehow, the WW Importer messed up the textures and the exporter is also creating new materials as well.

The method I am using to implement the textures is stated here.

Quote from: CarbonCopyCat on January 19, 2016, 10:35:53 PM
If you're using the Slate Material Editor, the material you picked from the model should either look like this (ignoring the number of standard materials):

If it's the first, then double-click the Bitmap you want to change. This menu should pop up to the side; click the circled box and you should be able to change the path.

Other minor bugs that I am getting is that I am getting a blank message when exporting a sequence

And I am not too sure why this error message keeps popping up every time I export a model.

Anyways, I was wondering if there's a fix for these issues I stated.

wallworm

The empty message error is now fixed in a new update. Thanks for the quick report. I didn't notice because I never use the standalone SMD exporter... I only use WWMT to export models.

Regarding the new message about bone affect limit. This warning is to let you know that the Skin modifier has a bone affect limit of 20. This should be reduced to 3. This is in the advanced tab.

As for the materials and textures, it's not immediately apparent to me as to what is going on. I can see texture stretching on the model in your first image, but I'm not sure what's going on. As for the exporter, it never makes new materials here. Play around with the settings to see how this may have changed for you.

wallworm

As it turns out, the new weld function for skinned models seems to have a problem with UVW coordinates in some cases. I'll look into this a little more.

wallworm

OK, update again and the welding of the skinned meshes should no longer have uvs messed up along the seams. Unfortunately, the update mad it so that the elements are not as complete as the earlier update but at least the UVs work. Most vertices will be welded but only if they are sharing the same uv coordinates. When I get time, I will look into fleshing it out.

Primarina

Quote from: wallworm on January 26, 2016, 05:02:52 PM
The empty message error is now fixed in a new update. Thanks for the quick report. I didn't notice because I never use the standalone SMD exporter... I only use WWMT to export models.

Regarding the new message about bone affect limit. This warning is to let you know that the Skin modifier has a bone affect limit of 20. This should be reduced to 3. This is in the advanced tab.

As for the materials and textures, it's not immediately apparent to me as to what is going on. I can see texture stretching on the model in your first image, but I'm not sure what's going on. As for the exporter, it never makes new materials here. Play around with the settings to see how this may have changed for you.

No problem if I see any more bugs. I will make sure to report to you.

So it isn't an exporter issue then. For the materials issue, I think it must have been because the material names have also included the file extension (in this case .png) when I initially imported causing the issue of messing up the textures in the exported model.

Quote from: wallworm on January 26, 2016, 06:34:09 PM
OK, update again and the welding of the skinned meshes should no longer have uvs messed up along the seams. Unfortunately, the update made it so that the elements are not as complete as the earlier update but at least the UVs work. Most vertices will be welded but only if they are sharing the same uv coordinates. When I get time, I will look into fleshing it out.

Appreciated. Thanks for the update. I guess that will have to do for now, but I think you should also try to see if you can actually make the importing process for welded skinned models more optimized, as at the moment, it's a lot more slower than wunderboy's importer. But, it's not much of priority as at least it works abeit just very slow, which I can deal for a bit.

wallworm

Quote from: Lopunny on January 26, 2016, 06:44:15 PM
I guess that will have to do for now, but I think you should also try to see if you can actually make the importing process for welded skinned models more optimized, as at the moment, it's a lot more slower than wunderboy's importer. But, it's not much of priority as at least it works abeit just very slow, which I can deal for a bit.
Wunderboy's importer is a compiled C++ plugin, which generally runs faster than MAXScript. (MAXScript has many benefits, though... for example, far faster to develop, easier to maintain and will keep working immediately when new Max versions come out--whereas new Max versions break C++ plugins) It may be possible for me to bring the import times down with this new option, but I'm hard pressed to find time for that at the moment. Maybe down the road.

Primarina

Quote from: wallworm on January 26, 2016, 07:20:20 PM
Wunderboy's importer is a compiled C++ plugin, which generally runs faster than MAXScript. (MAXScript has many benefits, though... for example, far faster to develop, easier to maintain and will keep working immediately when new Max versions come out--whereas new Max versions break C++ plugins) It may be possible for me to bring the import times down with this new option, but I'm hard pressed to find time for that at the moment. Maybe down the road.

I see your point. Fair enough, hopefully when you got the time, you can improve on the import times soon.

Quote from: wallworm on January 26, 2016, 05:02:52 PM

I will elaborate on this. Take a look on the dark red boxes. It appears that the file extension is being carried over into exported .smd and into compiled model which results in messing up the textures. Although it's easily fixable by changing the material name in max, I find it quite annoying to deal  with every single time I have import and export a model every time.

wallworm

The importer simply reads the face material name. I can't really make any assumptions about the material name. This material you highlighted was likely generated because there is at least one face in the model with a material name of pm0031_00_Body_1_png. How and why it got that name up to this point, I do not know; I assumed you imported it and re-exported at least part of it again and then re-imported it? You could open the SMD and search for that to see what happened.

In the end, WW always assumes that the face material in the SMD is accurate and is actually the name of the material (VMT file) when importing. There is nothing illegal about a VMT file named pm0031_00_Body_1.png.vmt; since the VMT extension is rarely inside a SMD... it's the question is always going to be does a line of pm0031_00_Body_1.png in the SMD mean pm0031_00_Body_1.vmt OR pm0031_00_Body_1.png.vmt. Adding yet one more file system lookup will again slow the importer one little bit more.

I'm assuming this issue will go away as you become more familiar with how WW relates to materials. Unless you have the Legacy settings for materials and textures in the global settings, WW's handling of materials is different than Wunderboy/Cannonfodder (and even with those legacy settings I no longer test new features in WW that might affect any legacy settings... and I suggest no one ever uses those; at this point, I know that exporting SMDs and VMTs can be affected by those legacy settings... but not sure how they relate to importing). I'm not sure what settings you have or if even relevant, just adding extra info.

Primarina

Quote from: wallworm on January 27, 2016, 11:39:45 AM
The importer simply reads the face material name. I can't really make any assumptions about the material name. This material you highlighted was likely generated because there is at least one face in the model with a material name of pm0031_00_Body_1_png. How and why it got that name up to this point, I do not know; I assumed you imported it and re-exported at least part of it again and then re-imported it? You could open the SMD and search for that to see what happened.

In the end, WW always assumes that the face material in the SMD is accurate and is actually the name of the material (VMT file) when importing. There is nothing illegal about a VMT file named pm0031_00_Body_1.png.vmt; since the VMT extension is rarely inside a SMD... it's the question is always going to be does a line of pm0031_00_Body_1.png in the SMD mean pm0031_00_Body_1.vmt OR pm0031_00_Body_1.png.vmt. Adding yet one more file system lookup will again slow the importer one little bit more.

I'm assuming this issue will go away as you become more familiar with how WW relates to materials. Unless you have the Legacy settings for materials and textures in the global settings, WW's handling of materials is different than Wunderboy/Cannonfodder (and even with those legacy settings I no longer test new features in WW that might affect any legacy settings... and I suggest no one ever uses those; at this point, I know that exporting SMDs and VMTs can be affected by those legacy settings... but not sure how they relate to importing). I'm not sure what settings you have or if even relevant, just adding extra info.

No, I just only imported and exported an .smd file. I didn't reimported afterwards.

Anyways, I checked the original .smd file and compared to the modified .smd file. Turns out I think you were right.

Left is the original and right is the modified .smd file.

I guess it must have been the way your importer handles textures. So I guess that settles that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk