Some Displacements Fail To Export

Started by jrocket, February 15, 2016, 12:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrocket

When using the Polys to Displacements feature, the polys are converted to displacements, but those displacements fail to export when exporting the vmf.

To repro-
1. open the attached scene.
2. Select all of the faces in the model.
3. In Anvil, press the Polys to Displacements button
4. Export the level to vmf.
5. Open in Hammer and see that nothing is there.

It looks like wall worm doesn't like my mesh, because a box or sphere work fine. All of the faces are planar though :(

I am using the latest 3.93 in Windows 10.

wallworm

There are two issues here. I will explain them both shortly.

wallworm

OK, I've written a new document on how you can solve the issue of missing displacements in the exporter.

In your scene, there are two reasons that the displacements were missing:

1) The brush they are assigned to has 540 Polygons (which turns into 540 faces). The VMF Exporter skips any brush with more than 128 (default) sides (or any element in a concave brush with more than 128 sides). Upping the VMF Exporter limit to 540+ will make the brush now export... but it will still not work because:

2) Since the displacements were assign to a single invalid brush, they would still all fail to load.

The object they are assigned to should not be tagged as a brush.

Once these are taken care of, the level exports fine:

Hint for Alpha Blending: The current displacement shaders all have pros and cons inside Max. For general use I recommend using the Native shader. The Black Mesa version is still in development and will show things like blendmodulation and bump, but has limitations right now including light angle problems. If you create displacements but cannot see the alpha blending, you may need to right-click the object and choose Object Properties--then make sure the Vertex Channel Display is on and that you have either Vertex Color (Native Shader) or Vertex Alpha (Black Mesa) set.

jrocket

Thanks for explaining that. :D I'll give it a try when I get home.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk