Contest Rules: Amazing Desert

Started by wallworm, January 16, 2015, 03:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallworm

Contest #1: Amazing Desert

Welcome to the first-ever Wall Worm Level Design Contest. This contest is intended to help participants learn about using 3ds Max as a level editor for the Source Engine. If you didn't know that you can build Source levels in Max, you may be surprised about this contest. If you are not familiar with how this works, you may want to download Hammered to the Max: A Hammer User's Guide to 3ds Max.

Contest Theme

Amazing Desert is the theme. Your goal is to create a level that makes the player feel immersed in an exotic desert location. You must bring the level to life with rich texturing, contrast and a remote, desolate or ancient ambiance. The setting can be a realistic location or alien and bizarre.

Contest Rules:

• Standard Contest Rules
  • Must be for one for the following Source Games: Counter-Strike: Source, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Black Mesa, Day of Defeat: Source, Insurgency, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch or Hidden: Source, Team Fortress 2 or Gary's Mod targeting another allowed mod.
  • Must include a custom Soundscape.
  • Level must be playable by the maximum number of players the target game allows. This means there must be as many spawn points as the game permits per team. (In Hidden, this is 9 I.R.I.S spawns plus one or more Hidden spawn points. For the remainder, this means 32 total spawn points.) The level requires this number of spawn points even if you intend the level to be played with less players.
  • Include at least one custom model made with Wall Worm Model Tools.
  • Include an Easter Egg

Inspiration:

Use some of these links to help inspire your levels:

Deadline:

All submissions must be in by Midnight (12pm EST) of April 30, 2015. Winner will be announced on  May 15, 2015. (Deadline was extended.)

Prizes:

First Place: A License for all current commercial Wall Worm Plugins and 2 year access to the Premium section of WW Forums.

Second Place: A License for Wall Worm Pro + CorVex and 1 year access to the Premium section of WW forums.

Third Place: A License of Wall Worm Pro and 1 year access to the Premium section of WW forums.

Judges:

At this time, judges include:

• Rick Underhill
  • Shawn Olson
Others are possibly in the works.

wallworm

There is one WIP screenshot to share so far from the6thmonkey: http://www.wallworm.net/index.php/topic,1256 . The level is using displacements, which was certainly something was hoping to see a lot of. I look forward to seeing this project evolve.

That's the only official contestant so far. Unfortunately, I have failed to foster as much interest in this as I'd hoped.

Some of the people who want to be in the contest are moderators of the forums... but I chose to exclude them because of conflict of interest. Others feel that the time-frame is too narrow.

I've also not been able to promote the contest as much as I should because I've been focused on developing WW Pro, the new WW store and some videos. The videos I'm working on now involve level design. I may integrate concepts that could be used in this contest in a couple of the videos.

As such, the deadline is moved back to March 31.

Joris Ceoen

I'm not entirely sure if you're up for this idea (look more at it as a suggestion) but perhaps you could contact GameBanana and ask them to host a contest that evolves solely around creating a level with WW. Make sure that in the rules it is stated that they must provide the .max file etc and stuff like that.

Of course, I know your stance somewhat towards the GB community, but it is undoubtly THE place for Source contests.

wallworm

Quote from: Joris Ceoen on March 09, 2015, 05:46:42 AM
I'm not entirely sure if you're up for this idea (look more at it as a suggestion) but perhaps you could contact GameBanana and ask them to host a contest that evolves solely around creating a level with WW. Make sure that in the rules it is stated that they must provide the .max file etc and stuff like that.

Of course, I know your stance somewhat towards the GB community, but it is undoubtly THE place for Source contests.

Yes, I will do this for the next contest. I'll also lift the ban on including WW Forum moderators.

In terms of your comment about my stance on GB... I wasn't aware that I had one :) I'm a member there (and my only published Source map is on it). My only stance you might be referring to is that many Source communities (not just GB) have a very hostile stance to the very idea of using Max as a level editor. My crusade against that animosity is part of the reason why I even started this contest--as I'd love to see others learn to enjoy more robust level editing environments.

Joris Ceoen

Quote from: wallworm on March 09, 2015, 09:17:44 AMYes, I will do this for the next contest. I'll also lift the ban on including WW Forum moderators. In terms of your comment about my stance on GB..
Ah yes, that's what I ment. I didn't mean to say GameBanana only, though honestly that's how I interpreted it at first x) That's great to hear. Tutorials should be ready by then for people to learn, much like New World Interactive did with Insurgency. I'd be very glad to help getting it up and running!

wallworm

I have extended this contest to April 30 and have removed the restriction of forum moderators from participating. Please see the general rules for updates.

wallworm

Well this is the final day and not a single submission. So I'll have to go back to the drawing board... or just go fishing instead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk