Smoothing errors on export

Started by desertedfreeman, February 28, 2016, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desertedfreeman

Just as the title says.

Whenever I export a model, I always get smoothing errors. I tried all 3 types of Normals exporting options, but I can not seem to fix the smoothing. I've heard of some other SMD exporter built into Wallworm Model Tools, but I can't seem to find them so I just use the normal exporter(WWE).

func_Mathias

I am no expert on the topic but I do remember a quick fix that have worked for me and a friend in the past, doesn't mean it will for you but let's give it a shot.

Basically what you do is that you flip the normals twice, you do this by adding a "Normal" modifier, make sure "Flip Normals" is checked but nothing else.
After that you right click on the "Normal" modifier and choose to "Collapse To", then you go ahead and do this once more to flip them back.

This will keep all the normals the same but often seems to give them kind of a new state of existence where they decide to work I guess :P
I'm assuming your normals are explicit so remember to use that option for exporting/compiling.

If it doesn't work after that I would recommend recreating as much of the normals as you can with smoothing groups, as I don't think this ever has many errors.
If you're already using them then I have no idea what so ever, maybe Shawn has other ideas.

wallworm

Thanks for that tip Mathias. Never heard of that one, actually.

If Mathias' trick doesn't help, you'll need to send me a sample Max scene with a model that exports poorly for you. My email is in the WW readme.

desertedfreeman

Quote from: func_Mathias on February 29, 2016, 03:06:42 AM
I am no expert on the topic but I do remember a quick fix that have worked for me and a friend in the past, doesn't mean it will for you but let's give it a shot.

Basically what you do is that you flip the normals twice, you do this by adding a "Normal" modifier, make sure "Flip Normals" is checked but nothing else.
After that you right click on the "Normal" modifier and choose to "Collapse To", then you go ahead and do this once more to flip them back.

This will keep all the normals the same but often seems to give them kind of a new state of existence where they decide to work I guess :P
I'm assuming your normals are explicit so remember to use that option for exporting/compiling.

If it doesn't work after that I would recommend recreating as much of the normals as you can with smoothing groups, as I don't think this ever has many errors.
If you're already using them then I have no idea what so ever, maybe Shawn has other ideas.

Is there any other way to do this that doesn't remove the skin modifier?

desertedfreeman

Quote from: wallworm on February 29, 2016, 09:19:03 AM
Thanks for that tip Mathias. Never heard of that one, actually.

If Mathias' trick doesn't help, you'll need to send me a sample Max scene with a model that exports poorly for you. My email is in the WW readme.

Doesn't seem to work for me. I'll send an email.

wallworm

All I did was open the file, add a color to the hands (you didn't send bitmaps), open WWMT and select the hands and exported. The results Max & HLMV are in image below. I see no errors at all. I exported with both WW SMD Exporter and with WW Pro, and both had the same results. I set the normal mode to explicit normals in the WWMT settings.

As for the other email, better to post here. I physically don't have the time always for one-on-one email answers... and posting things here is better because others can benefit from the answers and, just as importantly, other WW users can share answers (and take some of the load off of me).

desertedfreeman

Quote from: wallworm on February 29, 2016, 09:30:32 PM
All I did was open the file, add a color to the hands (you didn't send bitmaps), open WWMT and select the hands and exported. The results Max & HLMV are in image below. I see no errors at all. I exported with both WW SMD Exporter and with WW Pro, and both had the same results. I set the normal mode to explicit normals in the WWMT settings.

As for the other email, better to post here. I physically don't have the time always for one-on-one email answers... and posting things here is better because others can benefit from the answers and, just as importantly, other WW users can share answers (and take some of the load off of me).

Strange. I tried exporting with the explicit normals, but I can't seem to fix it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk