[SOLVED] Messed up model upon import

Started by Primarina, March 15, 2016, 02:23:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primarina

https://i.imgur.com/0I1x6XT.png

So I have attempted to import this model into 3DS Max, but upon import, the imported model is messed up in some parts.

Note: The model originally was a .dae file. There were no other file types when I originally got the models. Then, I imported the model and then I exported as an .smd. Only when I imported the model into 3DS Max as an .smd is when the problem the appeared.

wallworm

Hard to say what's going on. Email me original DAE file and I will follow the process.

Primarina

Quote from: wallworm on March 15, 2016, 09:06:50 AM
Hard to say what's going on. Email me original DAE file and I will follow the process.

Done. Let me know if you find anything.

wallworm

I imported the DAE file you sent with the default import settings, and the results are the Max image on the left side. Notice all the bad smoothing. When I exported the scene to MDL, the results matched the Max scene. When I re-imported that QC/SMD, the results were identical to the original Max scene. So I'm not sure what the question is at this point. Everything worked exactly as I would expect based on the original file.

Primarina

Quote from: wallworm on March 15, 2016, 10:56:00 PM
I imported the DAE file you sent with the default import settings, and the results are the Max image on the left side. Notice all the bad smoothing. When I exported the scene to MDL, the results matched the Max scene. When I re-imported that QC/SMD, the results were identical to the original Max scene. So I'm not sure what the question is at this point. Everything worked exactly as I would expect based on the original file.
This is odd. I think the result might have been affected when I have chose the explicit normals option. I will try this again with the default normal option to see if I can replicate what you got. However, the issue is how would I get rid of the bad smoothing in the model?

EDIT: Nope, never mind. I don't know you what you did, but I got the same result as before.

wallworm

I guess that I'm missing the logic in your steps, because you say that you import the DAE, then export the SMD, then re-import the SMD. I don't understand why you'd do that--as the file is in Max as it is. Or am I misinterpreting your opening post?

Modifying the smoothing: To change smoothing on a model, there are two methods: smoothing groups or explicit normals . Smoothing groups only work between faces that share edges, so for models that have un-welded vertices or explicit normals, you must edit them with the Edit Normals modifier. When exporting to game a model with explicit normals, you should set the WWMT settings to Explicit Normals. In my case, I set it to explicit normals (which I have on as the default in the global settings, which I recommend if you have WW Pro on). WW could default to the explicit normals at all exports because explicit normal calculation accounts for smoothing groups.... but the MAXScript implementation for this is slow, which is why I left it up to the user to set their desired setting; WW Pro exports explicit normals quickly, however, which is why I default to this in all models.

Primarina

Quote from: wallworm on March 18, 2016, 02:04:15 PM
I guess that I'm missing the logic in your steps, because you say that you import the DAE, then export the SMD, then re-import the SMD. I don't understand why you'd do that--as the file is in Max as it is. Or am I misinterpreting your opening post?

Modifying the smoothing: To change smoothing on a model, there are two methods: smoothing groups or explicit normals . Smoothing groups only work between faces that share edges, so for models that have un-welded vertices or explicit normals, you must edit them with the Edit Normals modifier. When exporting to game a model with explicit normals, you should set the WWMT settings to Explicit Normals. In my case, I set it to explicit normals (which I have on as the default in the global settings, which I recommend if you have WW Pro on). WW could default to the explicit normals at all exports because explicit normal calculation accounts for smoothing groups.... but the MAXScript implementation for this is slow, which is why I left it up to the user to set their desired setting; WW Pro exports explicit normals quickly, however, which is why I default to this in all models.

No, you interpreted correctly. That's what I exactly did.

Excuse my lack of knowledge of handling .dae files. This is the first time I have dealt with a .dae file, so I wasn't really too sure on what to do, so I just exported and imported the .dae file to an .smd files as I had more knowledge in handling .smd files.

Another reason for exporting the .dae file into an .smd file and then reimporting again, was that the model was in several pieces and I wasn't too sure on how to approach this.

Anyways, as for the smoothing, I will try out what you said and I will report back the results.

CarbonCopyCat

Quote from: Lopunny on March 18, 2016, 09:23:39 PM
Excuse my lack of knowledge of handling .dae files. This is the first time I have dealt with a .dae file, so I wasn't really too sure on what to do, so I just exported and imported the .dae file to an .smd files as I had more knowledge in handling .smd files.

Another reason for exporting the .dae file into an .smd file and then reimporting again, was that the model was in several pieces and I wasn't too sure on how to approach this.

In general, almost any file format you can import can be treated the same once imported into 3ds Max, be it .obj, .fbx, .dae, or whatever. You shouldn't have to convert back-and-forth through formats unless there's an issue with the importer/exporter of a certain format, and you'd probably get the best results just using the original file.

As for the multiple pieces, using "Attach" in Edit Poly merges the models together into a single object, though it would most likely mess up skinning. If you're just planning on exporting it to Source though, I don't think you'd have to merge each individual object; you could just use Append or Add Selection in WWMT.

Primarina

Quote from: CarbonCopyCat on March 19, 2016, 01:46:47 AM
In general, almost any file format you can import can be treated the same once imported into 3ds Max, be it .obj, .fbx, .dae, or whatever. You shouldn't have to convert back-and-forth through formats unless there's an issue with the importer/exporter of a certain format, and you'd probably get the best results just using the original file.

As for the multiple pieces, using "Attach" in Edit Poly merges the models together into a single object, though it would most likely mess up skinning. If you're just planning on exporting it to Source though, I don't think you'd have to merge each individual object; you could just use Append or Add Selection in WWMT.

I see. Well I exported the model and it seems to work fine now. I just need to fix up the smoothing errors and refine the physics mesh.

I guess I can consider this as solved although I should have asked this somewhere.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk